2012 College Football Thread-o-rama

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by Fuller, Aug 21, 2012.

1. 1951Campbell

1951Campbell Free Legal Advice/Beatles Hater

Didn't want to lose three Rose Bowls in a row.
  2. samram

samram Bon Vivant

He apparently wants to coach in the Rose Bowl, which probably doesn't work for either Wiscy or Arkansas.

I don't really get the move. Leave a team that's gone to 3 straight Rose Bowls for a team that's been in what, 1 BCS game? Not to mention a division with LSU, Alabama, and potentially a Petrino-led Auburn.
  3. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

Why does Arkansas want Bret Bielema? I mean I understand a.) Arkansas isn't exactly Alabama or USC and b.) Bielema isn't exactly a terrible coach, but weren't they looking at Patterson and shit?

I can understand why Bielema would want to go to Arkansas (although maybe I'm biased but I think Wisconsin is about as good a coaching situation) but I don't really understand what kind of move this is for Jeff Long. I mean for fuck's sake, we were hearing rumors about Les Miles. I know that's unlikely as all hell, but Bielema is not in that stratosphere
  4. 1951Campbell

:andruw:
  5. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Big Ten coach imagines the next step is SEC?

deep dicking
  6. Quaye

Man, see I can see that. I think coaches should probably also look at the SEC and notice it's a great place to get fired in 2 years
  7. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I actually think it's a weird fit all around. Seems lateral for him (at least in terms of title prospects and place in the conference) and underwhelming for Arkansas given the competition.
  8. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Gus Malzhan is headed to Auburn.

Was their OC during the cam Newton year
  9. Quaye

The thing I keep hearing about Arkansas (and not just from Arkansas people) is that Arkansas is a pretty undersung recruiting spot. Or maybe sung? I don't know--point is, I think it's thought to be better than Wisconsin from a recruiting standpoint. But with Wisconsin you have a much easier road to the BCS, and it's not like the Razorbacks haven't fired 2 coaches in 5 years
  10. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

So wait, CaptainBallz is going to coach at Arkansauce!?!?
    Quaye likes this.
  11. 1951Campbell

Anyway, I don't follow the Badgers super-close, I just hear stuff on local radio and news. But, like you guys, I'm mystified as to what he gets out of it and what that does for Arkansas.
  12. Quaye

It's like one of those lose lose scenarios like if we were to trade Konerko for Nick Swisher
    Fuller and 1951Campbell like this.
  13. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Fleeing Urban Meyer's guaranteed domination of the Big 10.
  14. 1951Campbell

For the oh-so-easy SEC? That's like the Royals wanting to join the AL East because they're tired of dealing with the Sox, Twins, and Tigers.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

He's going to Arkansas because they offered him more money. But from what I hear it's not just a cash grab, Arkansas has committed more money to the program than he would have at Wisconsin.

He's not going to out recruit Alabama or LSU but maybe he can return to them to the level they were suppose to be at this year.
  16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Shitty analogy.

The Big 10 in general is a fucking joke, but OSU is going to be an elite team until Meyer decides to take another break. They're already an elite team, and they're only going to get much better when they lard up on defensive and skilled offensive players.
  17. Quaye

Last I checked, Nick Saban is still in the SEC.

Also, just because a guy did well at QB... I mean SEC doesn't mean he'll be a great TE I mean Big 10 coach!
    Ziggy likes this.
  18. Quaye

Debatably if a great coach hadn't been fired and an incredibly shitty coach taken his place, Arkansas might have vied for an SEC West title this year. Depending on your definition of debatably
  19. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I can't believe Petrino hasn't gotten work yet.

Petrino 4 ILLINOIS campaign still alive! Although I think he will have a gig by year end.
  20. Quaye

it would be like when yall hired zook, except petrino is competent
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If the people that ran UIUC had any sack or clue they would have already hired Petrino.

And given him all the 20 something blond hoes he wants
  22. 1951Campbell

Alvarez just had a press conference. Apparently the players asked him to coach the Rose Bowl, and he's gonna do it.

Just gets weirder and weirder.
  23. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

You think he'll pull a Snyder for next year?
  24. 1951Campbell

He was pretty explicit about this being a one-off deal, and he said he's already talking to head coaches about the job anyway.
  25. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

26. Quaye

Yeah...all in good fun to make fun of Mexicans by holding up signs saying "will mow lawns for food". Get real. For fuck's sake.
  27. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:yeesh:

Dumb greek hoes. They're everywhere.
  28. zmz

Can't be worse than sentencing a kid to death or covering up multiple rapes
  29. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

30. 1951Campbell

samram and Ziggy like this.
  31. 1951Campbell

Wait a week, they'll hang a fucking banner commemerating their total lack of sensitivity in about a week. :soexcited:
  32. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

19 year old Sorority Slut retards are dumb; Cramps can't stop cumming

deep dicking
  33. 1951Campbell

Francoo Harris went golfing with Obama; BURGH can't stop cumming.

:happyguy:
  34. 1951Campbell

deep dicking
  35. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

Manziel wins the Heisman. Te'o in second.

36. Quaye

I'd be relatively interested to know the specifics of this particular trolling, so if you have a link, please share it, buddy!
  37. zmz

38. Quaye

I agree that those are terrible things that happened and I certainly wouldn't make apologies or excuses for it. I would love to know how the story you linked to is related to the post you made earlier whichI quoted. Please, enlighten me.

Also, I'd further love to know why you bothered to bring up something some asshole football players did in response to a post about sorority girls being hugely racist. I'll be waiting with bated breath for your inevitably coherent and not at all retarded response
  39. Fuller

So who are the players?
  40. Quaye

I don't believe they were ever charged or even seriously questioned, so the names will probably never be officially available. I don't know though. Most of the articles I've read about the incident are editorial pieces rather than pieces of reporting.
  41. Quaye

BTW: just so I'm clear. Remember when the Sandusky shit happened and I said it's a good eye opener as to why college sports are out of control and shouldn't exist? The blase attitudes regarding athletes raping women is yet another reason why the world would probably be better if big time college sports programs were wiped off the face of the earth
    Ziggy likes this.
  42. Fuller

The main difference between this case and the Penn State controversy is that nobody died at PSU and justice was ultimately served.

I'd like to see ND as thoroughly investigated as PSU was, but I suspect that is a pipe dream.

One last quote from Ms. Henneberger "What upsets me is when my fellow alums say that there are bad apples on every team. That may well be true, I don't dispute that, but when you're trading on the moral superiority of your institution and running a whisper campaign smearing a dead 19-year old, that's a problem!"
  43. Quaye

Well, the MAIN difference between this and the PSU case would be that one involved the institutional coverup of well-documented and inevitably judicially verified systemic child rape. The other involves allegations of--if I'm not mistaken--non-rape sexual assault and allegations of harassment and allegations of slow-moving police investigations and less than enthusiastic administration participation and of course a quite concrete suicide. Both terrible situations, but quite different situations in any case.

But yeah, I really don't have a good sense of to what extent anyone in power at ND is culpable here, but John Jenkins sure as shit doesn't look good.

OTOH this isn't the kind of thing the NCAA traditionally gives a shit about because it's not about maintaining their sham mantra of "SCHOLAR ATHLETES".
  44. Fuller

The limited information I have seen on the ND case suggests the potential of an institutional coverup as well, but clearly we need more data.
  45. Quaye

I'm not certain why a university coverup would be called for--especially given the high risk if you ever got busted for covering up a rape. Allegedly the alleged rapist is allegedly Prince Shembo--I don't see people covering up and risking their jobs for that dude, especially when just like every college rape case ever, they had to know the cops were going to drag their feet anyway.

But who knows what will come up. People have made much more inexplicable decisions for much less serious offenses. Right Jim Tressel
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I don't believe there was a PSU like cover up because there was nothing to cover up. I'm not saying the crimes didn't happen, but no victims actually came forward for the players to get charged with something. Victim intimated worked so there was nothing to investigate.

The story is very troubling and I like hating on ND but lets not act like this couldn't easily go on in Alabama.

Hell, some similar fucked up shit happened in UAB 10 years ago and that's nowhere the level of Alabama:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no12uab.html
  47. Fuller

Well, it was reported by the Trib that "Seeberg received treatment at a local hospital, consented to a DNA evidence kit and was offered counseling, sources said."

But dead girls tell no tales...
  48. Quaye

Not to trivialize this or pretend like nothing happened at ND--because this DID happen there and it's profoundly fucked up, but sadly this shit...it's not like it "could" happen anywhere, it legitimately happens EVERYWHERE and it's fucking ridiculous. I have very little doubt that the victim's allegations are AT LEAST as likely to be authentic as not (given we have very little evidence, I won't go beyond that) and she just gets this cursory brush off and harassment from athlete jocksniffers and it's fucking preposterous. Here's another example of this bullshit going on.

http://jezebel.com/5964359/when-will-we-stop-pretending-that-college-athletes-cant-be-rapists

Like I said this isn't meant to excuse ND. Quite the opposite--with all their moral grandstanding it's especially despicable that they're playing the "well why would we investigate this when there's no hard evidence" bullshit (even despite the whole railroading that happened to Abram Elam et al like 10 years ago). It's bullshit. That's what it is.

I enjoy watching college sports, but the college sports culture is a colossal wasteland of evil and bullshit and greed.
  49. Quaye

^^^The article linked above is from Jezebel which is a more or less bullshit site (like for instance, them using Duke Lacrosse as an example of student athlete sexual assault) but the story itself is relevant
  50. Fuller

Dug this up on some gross forum: "Lizzy Seeberg's recollections of Aug. 31 are detailed in her typed Sept. 5 statement, a copy of which was obtained by the South Bend Tribune."
    Seems like this incident, if it occurred according to the victim's alleged statement above, is relatively innocuous in the scope of sexual violence.