2015 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by maurice, Jul 8, 2015.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Second week of July. We should start seeing some action soon. Post rumors and transactions here.

The Sox obviously are sellers and presumably will look to move: Samardzija, LaRoche, Ramirez, and Cabrera

Also, if they don't intend to try to contend next year, a bunch of bullpen guys. If they're very lucky, sombody will take one of their bench players in a salary dump(jerry).
  2. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Expectations were high this year, but this season may not be the worst case scenario.

If you can get one decent prospect out of the moves, and have the worst record in the AL you get that juicy pick again. Maybe we can get one of those MLB ready bats like the Cubs draft.
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I'm all about tradeable contracts. If Hahn makes a trade or big money FA signing that doesn't work out, but then is able to dump the guy for prospects (especially position players), I'm not going to complain. Rinse and repeat until it finally works. In the meanwhile, you replenish your barren MiLB system and maybe eventually don't have to fill out your lineup with new FAs every year.
  4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Ramirez and Cabrera?

:mj:

I can't see them getting traded unless the Sox eat a lot of money.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:biglaff:

Someone who after 3 seasons will have a career line of .240/.300/.375
    SouthAsianpalehose and Cheeses like this.
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Cabrera has been heating up lately, but the problem is that he's got 2 more years left on his deal, so he probably stays.

Ramirez should be tradeable. At most, they'd have to pay the remander of his 2015 salary + his buyout, which totals only about $5 mil. That money already is in the budget, and they'd only throw it in if they got a good prospect in return.
  7. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

8. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

9. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

Trading Q, to a team desperate for SP. Is the only smart deal to get something back in return. No one wants Alexi for anything of value anymore. Hind site, was to trade him last off-season. But, isn't that the Kenny Williams MO, hold on to long to players? Both the Milk Man deal and the Robertson deals are too rich for anyone to take.

I don't want to trade Q, but the SOX don't have allot of assets teams want. It's time to shake things up. The Sox have enough SP dept for their 2017 run. Have to figure they will draft a SP in next years draft as well with their top 5 pick.
  10. AnthraxFan93

In traditional White Sox fashion; Dan Haynes was on CSN, and said the SOX will not be trading Q. But, would look at offers for Shark. You know I shouldn't be surprised, the Sox will do what the Bulls just did. Fire the coach, bring back the same team and think that will solve all their problems.
  11. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Sox in "listening" mode after this past weekend. The MLB folks (Rosenthal, etc) continue to mention the whole three year window mantra for the sox, so we shouldn't expect any major tear down trades.

Is the three year window supposed to mean that there's going to be a three year span of being one of the worst teams in baseball? Other than the pitching, there's not a whole lot going for this team and they've been downright dreadful in developing or acquiring any worthwhile bats.
  12. AnthraxFan93

Sycked, if that's the case.. That was the last 3 years. And another 3 years of this misery. They really need to move Q to either the Rockies or the Rangers. Both have good 3b and C prospects. Both teams are in need of pitching for the long haul.
  13. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

14. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Why

:stop:?

That's the mentality I'd want players on my favorite team to have. Whether we or upper management should believe they have a shot is another story, but it's there job to play like they have it all to play for.
  15. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Sure they are 5 back from that second wildcard spot... but they are only 4 games ahead of Oakland for the bottom of the league. :laff:

But yeah, I absolutely like that they are thinking positively like that. :shrug:
  16. CaptainBallz

17. CaptainBallz

Let me just answer that question for Rodon, "Why not? Because you're on a team of dancing spidermen, that's why not"

Spare us the pollyanna rah rah shit and let's just see the team position itself for some semblance of actual, sustained success over the next decade.
  18. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

That's a HEAVY lift for a team that has scored the fewest runs in all of baseball. How do you suddenly change that into a playoff contender? That is a shit ton of games you have to win 2-1 unless our bats suddenly wake up because AUGUST!
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Positioning the team for sustained success is the job of the front office.

It should not matter to anyone if the players believe they can still make the playoffs. In fact, that is the preferable behavior of a player to have over the opposite.
  20. CaptainBallz

:fuckallthat:

Realize you fucking suck and do what you need to do to make sure you don't fuck the team out of a higher draft pick or convince the front office that it might just be ok sticking with bullshit for a while longer.
  21. CaptainBallz

And yes, I get players feeling the need to publicly express that attitude... Actually believing it??

:gfy:
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What? Players are paid to win as many games as possible. They aren't going to start dogging it so the team gets a higher pick or accelerates them to be sellers. The players aren't and shouldn't be concerned about any of that. Their job is to play to the best of the abilities.

No team gets together and decides "Hey we aren't good, maybe we shouldn't try as hard or believe we can win games so the team gets a higher draft pick" and quite frankly I wouldn't want players with that attitude.
  23. CaptainBallz

This team really should consider that approach and spare us all the "HEY, WE CAN ACTUALLY DO THIS, GUYS" bullshit. It's fucking patronizing.

But, if that's what you guys like to hear in a :poo: year like this... :shrug:
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Jesus Christ, what do you not understand that the front office =/= players

Rodon saying "Why not us?" is just the players perspective. It makes sense for the players to think that. They want to think they are coming every day and about to play a meaningful game. It's not detrimental to the organization if the 25 guys that are on the Sox roster think that.

He doesn't speak for Hahn or Kenny or the organization as a whole. Now if Hahn or Kenny have that same type of thought or statement, then all means rip them for being stupid. Because I also believe this is not a good team and they don't have a shot at the playoffs.
  25. CaptainBallz

Jesus christ, what the fuck makes you think I'm saying that front office = the fucking players.

I posted something that showed up on my FB feed with a bunch of "GO SOX GO... I BELIEVE!!" obnoxious pollyanna, Wissy-esque comments because it's fucking patronizing and obnoxious in a season like this one. Especially as we approach the deadline and it behooves the team to eat as much shit as humanly possible. And I don't necessarily trust the front office to do everything they necessarily should do if the team is "hot" heading into August.

But yes, I'm being tongue-in-cheek saying that the players should tank, but it's also gay as fuck for you guys to trip all over yourselves in support of some bullshit "ain't over til it's over" cliche player soundbite when the only reasonable reaction to that comment should be :jerkoff:.
  26. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Just trade Smardzija to the damn Blue Jays already
  27. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What are you even referring to? That link you posted? Sorry , I didn't read it. I just assumed you were butthurt about Rodon saying "why not us?". If I was wrong about that, then I apologize for the mistake.

Yes I think it's obnoxious if bloggers, fans, the front office, and anyone else besides the players are saying "why not us?" So I'm not sure what this argument is even about anymore, because like I said, I'm not drinking the Kool Aid and I believe it's over.
  28. CaptainBallz

29. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

30. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

oh, ballz is all in a twat again? big fucking surprise
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Where did you post this? All you posted was the Rodon quote.
  32. CaptainBallz

...and the article which showed up on my FB feed. Then I posted :stop:. Then everyone started crawling up my dick like a bunch of :gg:

No surprise that king :spiderdance: inr is now here to get on my dick like the huge fucking :fagot: he is
  33. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Love how this site is at its angriest directly after a 4 game sweep of a hated rival. Lord help us if we choke the season away... oh, wait...

:shit:
  34. CaptainBallz

A thread so very emblematic of the team we love so dearly

:poo:
  35. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened since this board's been around
  36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Did you even read the article? Or just look at the title? It doesn't offer any opinions, it just quotes Rodon and Sale.

37. CaptainBallz

38. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

39. CaptainBallz

40. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

41. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

42. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

good times...
  43. CaptainBallz

44. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

Samardzija is, apparently, making his start tomorrow...not that they would say anything else. Sox probably sweep Boston, stand pat, and lose 15 of the next 20.
  45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Charlotte skipped Johnson's start just in case.
  46. whitesox901

47. rustysurf83

The only way they should keep Samardzija is if they feel that a deal doesn't bring back a prospect better than what they could get with a sandwich pick. I wonder what sort of offers they are getting. IMO, if it was borderline decent he'd be gone already. The return probably gets better when Shields, Hamels, etc are dealt.
  48. whitesox901

49. rustysurf83

Mother. Fuckers. At absolute fucking best, you get into a 1 game playoff. Postseason chances compute to 5% right now. Maybe they think they can re-sign Shark? I don't fucking know...
  50. whitesox901

Even if they can re-sign him, I would rather scatter that money around than put it into one guy who's going to be 31 next year.