2016-17 NBA season

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by Stockdale4Veep, Oct 25, 2016.

1. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The thing I don't like is how everyone is saying the Warriors got redemption, payback, revenge, etc.

Well, they added one of the best players in the league to an already great roster. That'd be like if after the 2008 NBA Finals, the Lakers added LeBron, Wade or Dirk and had a rematch with the Celtics and won. REDEMPTION!
  2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That said GSW does deserve all the credit for drafting well, scouting well, not signing anyone to a bad contract and hiring the right coaches. Organization wise they deserve all the credit and being in place to sign KD. Should be interesting if Paul goes to the Spurs and if anyone else tries to create or add to the super teams. Paul George to Cleveland?

Anyway it's clear what the Cavs need. They need better 3 and D players than the trio of Shumpert, Smith and Korver.

Shumpert is a good defender but an okay at best 3 point shooter. Smith is good but streaky shooter and can play good defense but is too prone to lapses. Korver is one of the greatest 3 point shooters in history but can't play defense and also can't seem to hit an important 3 if it's late in the game and within a possession or two. That wide open miss when the Cavs were up 2 with less than a minute left in game 3 was huge.
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Definitely need better D. They shot 3s just fine, tho. They just didn't shoot enough of them, apparently mistaking how they won the previous game.
  4. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Should have stuck with Wiggins.
  5. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Not sure how Durant is a bitch. He decided not to play with the team that won him in a lottery. Can't really see what loyalty he owed OKC.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

I guess in the court of public opinion, he's a "bitch" for joining a super team that nearly broke the season wins record without him. If he went to LA or NY or really anywhere else that wasn't the best team in the league already before he joined, I'm sure people would be giving him much less shit. Basically the same idea with Lebron and Miami. If Lebron went to the Knicks and they built a team around him, nobody would have said shit except the butthurt Cavs fans.
  7. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

His team was also up 3-1 on the warriors in the WCF the year before but blew it. Wasn't like he was on some mediocre BULLSesque team
  8. SABRSox

Still don't get it. Free agency is just that. He can play with whichever team he pleases.
  9. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

Do you have the same mentality for Lebron?
  10. SABRSox

Sure. Any free agent is free to sign wherever they please. There are plenty of incentives offered to players to stay with their original teams, but at the end of the day, they are free to refuse those if they wish to play with another team.
  11. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Sure, obviously they can play wherever they want, but people reserve the right to call them bitches. They can choose whether or not to give a shit, which I'm sure they don't.
  12. SABRSox

My point is that those people are wrong. It'd be like calling somebody a bitch because they decided they didn't want to work at the grocery store they first worked at when they were 16.
  13. zmz

Might be the worst analogy I've ever heard
  14. SABRSox

Why do athletes owe sports teams loyalty? I've always been confused by this. It's a fucking business, first and foremost.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Just terrible. If I switch jobs every 3 years to get more money and more benefits it's a completely different thing. My job isn't based on a competition and it is entertainment for millions of people. Kevin Durant no matter what team he plays on will make the basically the same amount of money. The criticism of him is that he took a very easy path to win a title, in a sport where one player shifts so much. Everyone hated Lebron/Bosh (Wade was kind of given a pass because they came to play with him) for the same reason.

It doesn't make anyone a bad person for doing so but say the Warriors win 5 straight titles- in the grand scheme of things that means they are a great and historic team but without any competition in the era does that mean anything? Even Jordan had the Knicks. The god damn Pacers took them to 7 games in 96 (game 7 was close). The Blazers, Suns and both Jazz Finals series were very competitive.

Kind of like the 60's the Celtics, they were great but by far being the best team of the era without much opposition, along with being able to keep the team together, what does that really say? Basically it's more you didn't screw it up than actually rising up to win something.
  16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Switching jobs for more money = totally okay
    Switching to an "easy" job for the same amount of money = right out

:HapsDifference:
    Deuce likes this.
  17. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

Patrons of the store aren't expected to buy replicas of your name tag as incentives to keep you there.
  18. zmz

Do the hosed tards not realize there's a massive difference between switching jobs in the real world and shamelessly switching organizations when you're a top 3 player in the fucking NBA?
  19. SABRSox

I'm still not convinced by these arguments. Golden State played the salary cap game perfectly, Durant played for the team he wanted to play for. Nothing wrong with any of that.
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:nod:
  21. SABRSox

22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

3 part 30 for 30 on Celtics / Lakers.

:notbad:
  23. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I'm halfway through Part 2. This is so insanely detailed. I'm blown away by the amount of work put into it.
  24. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I appreciated the way they shredded Boston fans for being racist assholes.
  25. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

That and they went after Magic for being a bitch when he first came into the league and demanding a trade to get his coach fired.

So often those two topics get completely whitewashed in the hysteria of MAGIC VS BIRD. LAKERS VS CELTICS~!!!

They also corrected the silly narrative that the NBA immediately became popular once Bird and Magic came into the league. Those games were still on tape delay for quite a few more years.