2016-17 SOX Offseason Haps

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by maurice, Sep 5, 2016.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Time for the annual "fuck this season" thread, starting with the position players:

C - The Sox have been looking for a catcher annually since they dumped AJ. Probably even before then. No idea how much money Hahn will have to spend this offseason, but I imagine he'll explore available free agents again. Or maybe he'll get a catcher back if he trades a LHP. Avila is a free agent, but I guess they could resign him to platoon with Smith. Not sure why some people seem high on Narvaez, but the guy was a backup in the minors and only has a spot on the 25-man because everybody else got hurt. Alfredo Gonzalez also is on the 40-man, but he's certainly not a candidate to start in 2017. Collins is a couple of years away, assuming he stays at C. Maybe a bit sooner if he changes positions.

1B/DH - Abreu isn't going anywhere. Morneau is a free agent, but he could be back as well. If so, any offensive improvement will have to come from C and OF.

2B - Lawrie is arb eligible and probably will return. Saladino has solidified himself as a super-utility backup. Sanchez may be on his way out the door. He's still only 24 but has consistently failed to hit at the MLB level. Leury Garcia is still on the 40-man and quietly has had a good year at AAA, but Sox brass seems to have written him off for the same reason Sanchez may be done. Just for shits and giggles, I'll note that former Olympic speedskater Eddy Alvarez has been playing well at AAA.

SS - Anderson has been one of the few bright spots this season and hopefully will lock up this position for years to come.

3B - Having failed to move him at the deadline, the Sox seem intent on bringing back Fraizer. Despite his shitty batting average, he is good with the glove and unusually powerful in the post-juice era. Davidson will return from injury, I guess. He's like a poor man's Frazier. The top prospect at this position (Trey Michalczewski) should repeat AA next year. Nicky Delmonico has had an interesting year in the minors, but none of this matters if they're just going to run Frazier out there again.

OF - The Sox could really use a good CF. Eaton and Cabrera have been solid this year, but the third OF spot has been a black hole. In addition to catcher, this is where the team obviously could use some help. The in-house options are all 4th OF at best, and some combination of Jackson (FA), Tilson, and Coats could fill that role next season. The other OF prospects in the high minors have had disappointing seasons. Some folks are excited about a handful of prospects in the low minors, but they're a LONG way away from MLB. Get back to me when they do something at Winston-Salem. We've hopefully seen the last of Garcia and Shuck this month.

(pitchers in my next post)
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

3. Cheeses

Cheeses Depraved Pervert, Wilco Fan Cupcake Mod

4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Like I say every year, as bad as the Sox are at producing position players, they’re equally good at producing pitchers. As usual, they have a lot of young, cost-controlled arms (and a few overpaid vets). It's just a matter of sorting them all out.

SP - This is extremely uncertain. The first question to address this offseason is whether they'll trade from a position of strength and ship Sale or Quintana out for position players. A trade seems likely at this point, even if they're "all in," so I'd only slate one of them in at the top of the 2017 rotation. Rodon is a lock and will be looking to have a breakout season. Shields is another lock, at least to start the season. They're stretching out Fulmer to give him some MLB starts this month, so I guess they're slotting him in as well, but I'm less optimistic than most. Coop and friends have a tremendous track record with tall-and-fall pitchers. Not so much with drop-and-drive guys like Fulmer. Gonzalez will be back. Ranaudo might not. Zack Burdi is MLB ready as a reliever, but they might want to try him as a starter if he can develop his secondary pitches. The next wave of guys (Adams, Danish, Dykstra, Stephens, Hansen, etc.) won't be ready to break camp with the MLB team. They'll probably get at least one good pitching prospect back in any Sale / Quintana trade, as well as a scrap heap Coop reclamation project or two.

RP - I don't think any of us want to see Robertson back, but we might as well get used to it. Jones will return as the righty setup man, but they currently have no lefty setup man or LOOGY. Jennings has been okay, but his splits don't justify using him in either role. It would help the BP depth if Petricka and Putnam could stay healthy. Webb had Tommy John. Fatt Albers and Turner should go die in a tire fire. Beck, Ynoa, Kahnle, Minaya, Purke (l), and Brandon Brennan round out the 40-man and provide low-leverage depth. The Sox could use a couple of veteran arms, especially if Fulmer and Burdi take a crack at the rotation. Lefty BP help is a major need.

We also could see a front office and managerial shakeup soon. It won't be a dull offseason on the South Side.
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

I think the '96 Sox actually have the record for most blown saves in history at 32. This current team is inching towards the record with 28 on the first week of September. So I'd hope bullpen help is a chief concern this offseason.
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I think Collins is a mid 2017 callup. Going to follow a similar route to Schwarber- start in AA, get called up to AAA after a couple of months, play a handful of games at AAA, then get called up to MLB.
  7. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The only way that happens is if they quickly decide he's not really a catcher (like Schwarber), which isn't a good thing.
    Whoever they sign won't displace Robertson (7 BS) or Jones (9 BS).

Best way to improve the pen is to sign a good lefty setup man (which isn't easy) or fire Ventura.
  8. samram

samram Bon Vivant

The bullpen should be well behind CF, C, 2B (I don't think Lawrie is worth investing much more in), and whichever of 1B/DH Abreu isn't playing. That's assuming it's not a full rebuild, which seems doubtful. They did the "fix the bullpen" thing after 2014 and committed about $60 million to Robertson and Duke. It got them nothing because the rest of the team isn't good enough to make an $11M closer all that valuable.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

At this time next year maurice will have another thread like this the 1st week of September because even with :cud: finally getting canned :shitty:.
  10. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

:hattip: to maurice for remembering the names of more than half of these gay gentlemen
  11. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

When will the schedule for 2017 make an appearance?
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Been 9/8 the last 2 years, so stay tuned.

Told my buddy who works for the Giants while he was here over the weekend that I am hoping to get out there in the spring, so very excited to start looking at dates.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Tyler Flowers is 5th in pitch framing metrics this season. So I guess it wasn't just due to working with Sale and Q a bunch. Probably should've just kept him
  14. Unregistered

Not to mention he isn't a total black hole when hitting either. Oh well.
  15. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Only 70 games but .782 OPS

:deepsigh:
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah he was okay for a catcher at the plate. Navarro on the other hand was awful in all phases of the game. Really have to question the major league scouting at this club
  17. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

Really have to question all aspects of everything with this franchise.
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

In following up with my gayme thread comment, the Sox should go for broke, because they aren't going to be sellers. But none of this piece meal bullshit. Spend like crazy JR you old fuck.

C - Avila/Navarez with Collins slated in for a June/July callup
    1B - Abreu
    2B - Neil Walker (4 years $60 million)
    SS - Anderson
    3B - Frazier
    LF - Melky
    CF - Fowler (4 years $64 million)
    RF - Eaton
    DH - Encarnacion (3 years $75 million)

Bench - Saladino, Tilson, maybe Lawrie

SP - Sale, Q, Rodon, Gonzo, Fulmer
    RP - Robertson (demoted out of closer role), Jones, Jennings, Burdi, hope that at least one of Putnam or Petricka or Webb can stay healthy
    CL - Jensen (5 years $70 million)

Assuming arb figures of $10 million for Frazier, $3 million for Jennings, $5 million for Gonzo and $5 million for Lawrie if we keep him that's a $170 million payroll. And that's not including some money that will need to be spent to fill out the roster, so it's more like a $175-180 million.

:andruw:
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

My FA numbers might be a little high. I was kind of factoring in the shitty thin FA class.

Walker and Fowler maybe able to go for as cheap as 4/44-48

I think Jensen maybe gets downgraded to 5/60-65 since there are other good closers on the market

I have a feeling the Red Sox will be after Encarnacion to replace Ortiz so I'll say it's at least 3/69

That's still a $160 million payroll
  20. Cheeses

"You can't spend a quarter if you only have a dime."
    \
    :jerry:
  21. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Cell, I mean sell.
  22. Unregistered

Also: replace fuckface Ventura.
  23. CrazyButtfuckMcGee

CrazyButtfuckMcGee No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Well, Fuller is already here so...
  24. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I really don't want to go down the overpaid veteran road again.

Just blow it up and start over. Chris Sale deserves to be on a better team, and so does Quintana, so trade them for a bunch of parts, and do the same with the rest of the roster. Go cheap, build organizational depth, and fire Ventura.
    Cheeses likes this.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

@scottmerkin
    Cooper on future CWS rotation: "I think the five starters we have here right now are going to be back. That’s my opinion."
  26. Unregistered

They don't do that. Ever.
  27. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

All the Sox need is 2C, 2 OF ( CF/RF and LF), 2b and several arms in the pen.. and they have this division won without a problem.
    The replacement is sitting in the dugout as the bench coach. Come this time next year people will complain to fire Renteria cause the talent sucks.
  28. AnthraxFan93

Guy who is having back surgery you're going to hand out a 4 year deal at 15m per?
  29. Unregistered

Renteria has at least been a coach for 20 years. Robin shows zero sign of knowing at all what the fuck he's doing, which stands to reason considering the Sox basically woke him up from a retirement nap in Southern California to come coach the team, instead of considering a manager with actual experience.
  30. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

If Coop is right and they keep the entire rotation, then the added "several arms in the pen" already are with the organization. It'd be some combination of Fulmer, Burdi, Petricka, Putnam, Webb, Ynoa, Kahnle, Minaya, Smith, etc. who have all pitched 25 games or fewer for the Sox this season.

Still need a lefty setup man, tho.
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Didn't realize he had surgery. Even better take a 1 year 12 million flier on him
    AnthraxFan93 likes this.
  32. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Problem is more than half those guys are terrible and Petricka and Putnam can't stay healthy
  33. AnthraxFan93

Renteria manages this year in 2016.. Is this team a playoff team?
  34. AnthraxFan93

He is a former pirate, just saying
  35. Cheeses

:nope:
    AnthraxFan93 likes this.
  36. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I know we've all stopped watching the games, but I disagree that half are terrible. Webb has been pretty terrible, but then he had Tommy John. Keep in mind that the Sox are good at developing arms.

Anyway, they don't need all or even half of them to be good/healthy. They only need 2 or 3 of them to fill out the pen.
  37. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

2017 schedule is out.

[​IMG]
  38. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:larrydavid:
  39. Unregistered

That's not the argument, but probably not.

Point is, this team isn't a contender with Ventura as the manager, regardless of who you acquire. Sure, the team Hahn built this year isn't winning the division, but you need someone who isn't a total moron steering the ship or it doesn't matter anyway. Maybe they should try acquiring a manager that actually has experience winning and being... good. Or maybe we'll just keep hiring former players instead.
  40. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Rockies road trip in July?

:simon:
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sweet homosexual thread title change, gay gentleman mod. smh
    skottyj and y2chae like this.
  42. Cheeses

We were all thinking it.

:cagelaff:
  43. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

44. Unregistered

It finally wasn't me this time.

:yes:
  45. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Probably the first OD I'll miss in 5 years.

RIP
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Stupid teacher tired haps
  47. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Call in sick.
  48. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

cum on the teacher desk
  49. AnthraxFan93

You're a manager with experience and proven track record of winning.. Why would you come here? This team lacks talent and the owner doesn't allow the GM to perform their job. I don't disagree, it be nice to have that person here.. But, I can't see anyone worth their weight coming here.
  50. gbergman

gbergman Legendary Drunken Youth

Had no idea Morneau was on the team. Shows how little I have paid attention this season. Shitty thing about living out here.
    CaptainBallz likes this.