2017-18 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by Prope, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

First big news of the year: Chris Paul traded to the Rockets for Sam Dekker, Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, a first round pick, and a bunch of players that I didn't know played in the NBA. Kind of hard to make sense how Paul fits in with Houston with Harden. Obviously the talent in that back court is insane, but both of these kinds need the ball in their hands. Paul is obviously one of the best PGs in the league, and Harden really played well at the position last season. Tough to see initially how this works in D'Antoni's offense.

Also: http://deadspin.com/report-chris-paul-hated-austin-and-doc-rivers-1796493696

Ziggy and maurice like this.
  2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Shouldn't everyone hate Austin Rivers?
  3. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

The Myth of Doc.
  4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Didn't I text you a hot take years ago that I thought he sucked?
  5. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I believe you did.

Honestly, I think he's making up for lost time with his son, and it's ruining any type of goodwill he had around the league.
  6. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Doc should be fired if that Melo thing is real
    Ziggy, Prope and y2chae like this.
  7. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Jerry West'll fix him.
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

People seem to not understand what Phil Jackson was as a coach before he went to the Knicks. Talks about how he ruined his legacy or whatever.

Yeah he looks like an idiot because he acted like an idiot in NY. But Phil was never a X & O's coach. Hence, why he had Tex Winter and Johnny Bach at his side all the time. He was a man manager who got stars to play together and buy in. And he was great at doing that. There's plenty of X & O's type coaches like a Rick Carlisle type or someone that could've easily failed with the Lakers because Shaq and Kobe didn't get along or if Jordan hadn't bought into the system. You could say being a front office executive is pretty much all about being analytical and the strengths that make you a players coach do not translate at all. Using revisionist history, he was doomed from the start.

Since I'm a soccer :gg: you can see it in soccer too. Real Madrid don't really use tactics, they have a basic system that they don't overthink because they field an all star team of superstars. But they've achieved a great amount of success the past few years with 2 man managers who stay out of the way and make sure the stars play nice with each other and temper their egos.
  9. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

My brother in law works at the Mall of America; he just sent me a text of the stage where they're having the Jimmy Butler introductory press conference.
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The Chicago Bulls announced today that the team has waived guards Rajon Rondo and Isaiah Canaan.
  11. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

George to OKC for Oladipo

Rubio to the Jazz
  12. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Rubio brought back more draft picks than Butler
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Do you mean net draft picks? Because they both brought back 1 draft pick. Also Rubio's is top 14 protected so it's not a good comparison.
  14. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

15. SABRSox

16. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Here's an idea: just scrap the ASG. Have the vote, give the players their bonus, and don't play the game.
  17. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, businesses get rid of money producing ventures all the time.
    zmz, Ziggy, y2chae and 1 other person like this.
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah ASGs will stop once the stadium doesn't sell out and people stop watching the game on TV. When the MLB ASG was in Guaranteed RF in 2003, I remember I checked Stubhub prices to see if it was worth going. Cheapest ticket was well over $100, I think like $130 range.
  19. SABRSox

The better parts of ASGs are the events leading up to the game. Those will always be well attended/viewed.
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Plus now you'll get the player draft, which will be an infinitely more entertaining TV event than when the NHL tried this format, since these guys actually have personalities.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Player draft will be soap opera shit.

They ignored the bigger issue by keeping the pool of players at 12 from each conference.