College Basketball 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by BeviBall, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

2. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Not bigger than Sandusky
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Article simply assumes that paying kids for their substantial contributions to these colleges is obviously terrible and an appropriate area for the FBI to expend massive resources.

The lead prosecutor says, "the defendants exploited the hoop dreams of student-athletes around the country, allegedly treating them as little more than opportunities to enrich themselves...."

Isn't that NCAA athletics in a nutshell? Or is it only bad when the players and their families see some of the money?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  4. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Don’t follow college sports, but how the hell does Rick Pitino still have a job? Guy has immense plot armor. This is at least the third major scandal in recent memory.
  5. zmz

Final fours/national championship
  6. BeviBall

Apples and oranges. This is huge and could take down several programs including multiple bluebloods.
  7. BeviBall

Teflon Don but this will be the last straw. Let's also not forget the Reaper is still coming for UNC.
  8. zmz

We’ll see. The UNC “investigation” has been going on for seemingly 5+ years
  9. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

There's a headline I'd like to see

"UNC forced to vacate 2005 National Championship"
  10. BeviBall

Pitino told his staff he expects to be fired.

:applause:
    y2chae likes this.
  11. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Sandusky and PSU should've been much bigger than it was but because Paterno had cultivated a cult-life following in the area, the crimes went unreported and uninvestigated. This is a lengthy FBI investigation with multiple layers and corporations involved.

At the end of the day, all it's doing is pulling back the curtain that most realists know exists and has existed for years. It's amazing the hoops teams, coaches and players have to jump through when it could easily be solved by just removing restrictions. Essentially, in an ideal world everything that's going on at the surface level of this case "giving endorsement money to players to convince them to go to a school" should be legal anyway. It's the wire fraud, tax evasion, etc. that'll be the smoking gun that will make this much bigger than an NCAA issue.
  12. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

....or we could just pay the players, and a majority of the underhanded shit could go away.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:weebey:

Me when I assumed something that happens in every major college basketball program is actually a federal crime
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah because that's really going to mean U of I won the title

:cmon:

And I'm sure Bill Self was clean in getting Deron, Luther, Dee, Augustine and Powell to U of I
  15. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

If UNC vacates that title, it means that the Illini didn't shoot 27% in the first half.
    Alanzo, maurice, gbergman and 2 others like this.
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Jokes aside, I don't think the FBI would give a shit if it was simply coaches or schools simply paying players under the table. It's that these coaches are employees of the school, these schools are taking in federal money and these coaches are using their position to take bribes. So it's not good for what is technically a public employee using his job to take bribes.
  17. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

A couple shoe companies might be in some hot water as well.
  18. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Pitino gone.
  19. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Yeah, there's brides, wire fraud and untaxed money going in various directions.
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:
  22. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

23. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

24. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Cougars giving SC all they want in Pullman!
  25. BeviBall

Wrong thread.

;greatjob:
  26. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

27. Cheeses

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...idas-tom-jurich-rick-pitinio-money/730771001/

When University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich announced a new $160 million, 10-year deal with athletic apparel giant Adidas on Aug. 25, a reporter asked him if some of the proceeds would be shared with the university.

“It’s for the athletic department,” Jurich replied. “It’s for these student-athletes. It’s been earmarked for them.”

In fact, under the current deal with Adidas, which expires July 1, 98 percent of the cash provided by Adidas goes to one person: Rick Pitino, the now-suspended head coach.
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Open House Chicago was this past weekend, and I went to check out the new Wintrust Arena. DePaul was there acting like they own the place which, while obnoxious, worked out for me because they were giving away free food and pop in an effort to sell season basketball tix. Also, soooo many cheerleaders.

Anyway, today I get an email from UIC saying that they're doing essentially the same thing at the Pavilion. In a nutshell, they're counting on me being both (1) so cheap that I'll show up for a free hotdog and (2) so spendy that I'd buy tickets to see the RF Flames play, even though they routinely give tix away for free due to extreme lack of interest.

[​IMG]
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Story for Chae:
    I think I previously mentioned that Div. 1 college women's teams often practice against a men's scout team made up of guys 6'3 and under who can't dunk. During the Wintrust open house, the DePaul girls played against their scout team with refs, a scorekeeper, etc. as kind of a pre-season game. I only stayed for the beginning but, even with the refs giving all of the calls to the girls, the scout team was absolutely crushing them, scoring mostly on layups. (By "all the calls," I mean that any time the ball went out of bounds, they gave possession to the girls, they called zero fouls against them and, if a girl crashed into a dude who was attempting a layup, they called it a charge.) The girls only scored when they played full-court press and the guys made a dumb pass...which is bound to happen since they're not a real men's team but rather just 5 guys playing a pickup game.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Still baffles me how UIC can't just get in bed with CPS to cheat their way to success.

We found out from the FBI and Louisville that a going rate for a 5 star player, top 20 player in the nation, is $100k. You can probably buy off a 4 star player in CPS for $50-75k. Get 4-5 of them and you could dominate the shitty Horizon league like Butler did for years.
    Ziggy and chops like this.
  31. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

They just hired Dee Brown as an assistant coach. Since he has no actual coaching experience, Ima go out on a limb as say that his job mostly will be recruiting.
  32. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...y-riley-jalen-hill-arrested-china-shoplifting

:popcorn:
  33. BeviBall

The Larry Jordan of the Ball's.
  34. BeviBall

35. Cheeses

What a total fucking dipshit.
  36. zmz

37. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Good thing Trump is in the area
  38. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Hoosiers down 21 at half.
  39. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

ISU 13 of 18 from 3

:andruw:
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Going to
    :lep:
    @ DePaul tomorrow.
  42. BeviBall

Going to BU/Wichita St. in December

:bearman:
  43. zmz

How’s the new arena?
  44. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Beautiful. Not a bad seat in the house.

2 blocks from Motor Row. 3 blocks from Baderbrau and ample free street parking, since DePaul and ND types are ascared to walk south.
  45. BeviBall

So, 4 LeBrun's out of 4?
    Ziggy and Cheeses like this.
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What a wonderful use of tax dollars
  47. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

ISU beat South Carolina.
  48. y2chae

y2chae Panda

But did they beat Louisville?
    zmz, BeviBall and Cheeses like this.
  49. BeviBall

South Carolina sucks this year... and in trouble... eventually.
  50. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

They were so close.