Courtney Hawkins

Discussion in 'Trolling for Minors' started by MVP, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MVP

MVP Active Member

Hawkins has been promoted to A ball and is tearing it up. Nice first round pick so far. Also I think Trace Thompson could play CF for us today if needed. Our minor league pitching may be light but there is some real talent coming up.
  2. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

this is not kansas city

big boner
  3. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

I got sucked into putting Gordon Beckham in the Hall of Fame. Won't do that again, but Hawkins is definitely the Sox top prospect. He's probably a future all-star.
  4. MVP

MVP Active Member

Yea, it's tough when you get all excited about these guys and the either bust of get traded away.
  5. sox1970

Promoted to Winston-Salem.
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

7. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I don't get why Thompson couldn't use more time at AA. Is it because Charlotte is going to be in the playoffs and they need to set the roster and they figure he can get more games there?
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I guess. Barons season ends Sept. 3. Thompson also will be playing in the AFL.

Also, having already promoted Sanchez to AAA, they probably figured, "Why the fuck not?"
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

I seem to recall reading an article this year about how the Sox seem to have a (at least recent) history of throwing anybody close to being called a "prospect" into the fire and moving them up fast without worrying about how it's going to affect their psyche, for better or for worse. Don't know if that's actually true or not.
  10. October

October Local Pessimist

Chris Sale and Bex didn't mess around in the minors.
  11. samram

samram Bon Vivant

And look how well that's worked for Beckham.
  12. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Sale only pitched like ten innings in the minors. He was at AAA for around a week only. Astounding.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Beckham did fine his rookie year. League adjusted to him and he never figured it out since, except on how to play defense.
  14. Pig

Give credit to Beckham for taking position adjustments in stride when coming up. Just wish his bat caught up.
  15. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Beckham apparently has a negative dWar this season. What a garbage stat that is
  16. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Well, I think that's the issue. I have to think there's value in playing in the minors and learning how to make adjustments against that caliber of pitching instead of trying to do it for the first time against major leaguers. However, even given that, you would think by now he would have made the necessary adjustments (even given Walker's incompetence). He's a really good defender, but you have to wonder whether the Sox would think about non-tendering him this off-season.
  17. y2chae

y2chae Panda

He's not even arbitration eligible until 2013 so he'll be back.
  18. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I think he's eligible after this season since this will be his third full season.
  19. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Per baseball-reference:

Earliest Arb Eligible: 2013, Earliest Free Agent: 2016
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Even if he was arbitration eligible, how much would he get? I think it'd be $2-3 million tops.
  21. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Maybe, but given that Alexei and Viciedo are probably going to be hitting 7 and 8 again next season, wouldn't it be nice if someone at the bottom of the order had an OBP above .300? It's probably hard to quantify exactly how much Rios and AJ having big power years have made up for the number of outs made by those 3 guys and I'm not sure we can count on that again, even assuming AJ is back.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'd think the Sox wouldn't mind keeping him around for a low cost to be an utility guy at worst, although the fact that he hasn't played SS could hurt him.

Either in 2013 or 2014 we'll see if Carlos Sanchez or Tyler Saladino can put pressure on Beckham and Ramirez to perform better with the bat.
  23. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

If his entire baseball career prior to getting to the majors doesn't count, then sure, he's never played short.
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'm well aware of what position he played in college. But by all means ignore what point I'm trying to make, you possibly can't be that dumb.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

That's all I was checking on, seeing as I don't think it'd be hard for him to transition across the middle of the infield to the position he always played.
  26. LuvSox

LuvSox Has genuine dislike for Sycked

Back to the topic: Hawkins has a girls name.

Discuss.
  27. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Sounds like a hot girls name.

deep dicking
  28. sox1970

29. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

Is that defensive WAR?

Yeah, Beckham is not hurting the Sox defensively. Stat sucks.
  30. Zoso

We're the king of having multiple starters OBPing around .300 or even less.
  31. Zoso

I have a hard time understanding guys his age, but an 18 year old with an .804 OPS sounds pretty damn solid.
  32. zmz

:nod:

Untitled.png

perhaps one of the stat nerds on this site can explain
  33. Pig

Ramirez and Beckham have to be one of the best middle infields when they're on. I don't trust dWAR in this instance...
  34. sox1970

Hawkins has homered in the first couple playoff games.
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Speaking of playoff games, Charlotte has been playing in Indy. Unfortunately, both games there were midweek.
  36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Sure, after I graduated they play games there during a semester...
  37. October

October Local Pessimist

38. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

I finally had to unfollow dude on Twitter. I've had enough "oughts" retardation to last me a lifetime, thank you.
  39. Unregistered

Yeah, you'd think following an 19-year-old dude on Twitter would provide tons of insight and deep thinking!

:whoknew:
  40. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

The kind of insight and deep thinking you can squeeze into 140 characters? :laff:
  41. zmz

80 year old man finds a teenager annoying?

:whoknew:
    Ziggy likes this.
  42. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

I wanted SOX NEWS not ass-grabbing and bra-snapping in text form. :steamed:
  43. Unregistered

He's not Ken Rosenthal, he's a dude who just turned 19 and skipped college to play baseball full time. Other than hitting a baseball a mile, ass-grabbing and bra-snapping is probably all he knows.
  44. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

I saw activity in this thread and immediately assumed he destroyed his knee in a non-baseball related accident.

I'm glad that's not the case. This is far more amusing discourse.
  45. October

October Local Pessimist

I love following this guy, there was a kid on my baseball team that was just like him except he doesn't really have friends and obviously no girlfriend. Only difference is Hawkins can play ball and is therefore drowning in poon.
  46. October

October Local Pessimist

Hawkins just bought Pizza Hut for some frat boy. Discuss.
  47. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

No.
    y2chae and zmz like this.
  48. sox1970

Hit two HR's last night. Struck out 4 times tonight.

12 ks in 5 games.

Welcome aboard.
    Ziggy and Zoso like this.
  49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I'll take the 2 HR. He got dinged up a few games ago and had to be pulled out of a game.
  50. sox1970

There's a good chance he should be at Kannapolis right now.