*Fantasy Baseball: Rants and Raves Thread*

Discussion in 'The Other 29' started by Pig, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

I havn't seen one of these around here, and so figured some of us would like to discuss our team(s) on here.

I'm still steadily hanging around in third place for my SATC league team. Carlos Quentin has been carrying my team lately with his post all-star break performance. I'm going to have to finally dump a bunch of my White Sox relievers though.

And I've finally climbed up to fifth in my other leage and am now only 22 points back. My lineup isn't the best, but pitching has carried me to an awesome comeback.

That's my update. Have at it.
  2. QCIA

QCIA .

Why the fuck does Alex Rios think hes Figgins all of the sudden. I thought Rios would pop 30 easy this year. He has fucking 8 so far.
  3. Pig

Yeah, he has frustrated me a lot too. I've had him on my lineup all year. I finally just benched him in favor of Granderson.
  4. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I'm currently 7.5 points out of first in my money league, but I'm afraid I've topped out. I can't make enough ground in the ratio categories at this point, and I already own the counting categories. Oh well.
  5. Pig

Do you get any reward for placing second or third in that league? I only play the free leagues, so I'm not familiar with the money ones.
  6. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I've clinched a playoff spot and they start next week. Unfortunately, Longoria just went on the DL and I need to find someone who can make up some production. I can move Carlos Guillen from DH to 3B and either Gomez or Durham to DH, but I would like to do better than that.
  7. Pig

I'm up to fourth place now in my public league. This is pretty amazing seeing as I didn't even pay any attention for the first two months. Roto leagues FTW.
  8. SABRSox

Top 4 positions pay. 1st gets 50% of the pot, 2nd 25%, 3rd 15%, 4th 10%.
  9. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Yeah I'm in some home run pool where him, Swisher, and Peralta are friggin killing me.

Also, what the fuck is up with Joey Votto? He wants to go on the bereavement list but doesn't want anyone to know or know why or how long he'll be on it. What he do, kill a guy?

I'm sure its some serious family issue but I want answers damn it!

And another thing, someone change the name of the FATCH to some Palehosed name. Even though I think only me and Veep pay attention to that league.
  10. Racehorse

Racehorse Shooter of Bremsstrahlung

Mark Reynolds has volunteered to play 2B for the Snakes to make room when Justin Upton comes off the DL. This would allow a lineup consisting of Conor Jackson LF, Justin Upton RF, Chad Tracy 3B, Adam Dunn 1B.

Reynolds started as a SS and played some 2B in the minors.

I realize this scenario has little long term probability, but for yahoo leagues all Reynolds needs is to start 5 games at 2B to qualify at that position (I think). It would be great to pencil in Reynolds for the 2009 season at 2B. This needs to happen.
  11. SABRSox

So, quite magically, my team in the money league I play in is 1 point out of first, and I trail the 1st place team in about 4 categories by the slimmest of margins, which means I can really put him away with some very key pickups.

The categories are Runs (trail by 6 runs), Net Wins (that's 2xW-L, and I trail by 3 there), Home Runs (5), and WHIP (trail by .04).

I'm targeting Net Wins and Runs as my pickup sources. I need some suggestion on free agents that can help down the stretch. They need to be fringy types, because this is a deep league (12 teams, 35 man rosters).

Right now I'm looking at Jesse Litsch, Matt Harrison, and Joel Piniero for Wins. For runs, I'm looking at Chris Dickerson from Cincy. Any other thoughts?
  12. Pig

I'm hoping to clinch a playoff berth in my one league. I'm still in third and have been steadily around 8.5 games back the last few weeks. Can't afford any stupid losses at this point.

And still fourth and 25 points back on my other league. At this point, I just want to finish at least third in both.
  13. Racehorse

Here's my dynasty team's roster going into the offseason. I came in 11th out of 16 teams. BTW, injuries crushed me during the month of August, where I went from vying for the final spot in the championship bracket (I was in 6th place) to tailing off as an also ran. I have to reduce my roster from 29 to 24 when we crank it back up next March.

C Benjie Molina

1B Albert Pujols
    1B Casey Kotchman*

2B Orlando Hudson-DL

SS Khalil Greene-DL

3B Adrian Beltre
    3B Mark Reynolds
    3B Troy Glaus
    3B Josh Fields-NA

LF David Murphy*
    LF Juan Pierre

CF Aaron Rowand
    CF Willy Taveras

RF Nick Markakis
    RF Randy Winn

SP Josh Beckett
    SP Roy Oswalt
    SP Chris Carpenter
    SP Jeremy Guthrie
    SP Jair Jurrjens
    SP Ubaldo Jimenez
    SP Jonathon Sanchez
    SP Ian Kennedy-NA

RP Joakim Soria (CL)
    RP Kerry Wood (CL)
    RP Brian Fuentes (CL)
    RP Mike Gonzalez (CL)
    RP Jon Rauch
    RP Chris Ray-DL

* recent FA pickups

I think my biggest question marks, now and projecting 2009 value & playing time, are...

• Josh Fields: will the Sox pencil him in at 3B?
    • Willy Taveras: with the coming of Dexter Fowler, will COL trade him to a team that won't play him everyday?
    • Juan Pierre: If Manny doesn't resign with LA, will Andruw Jones play everyday to increase his trade value?
    • David Murphy: crowded TEX OF--will he play everday?
    • Ian Kennedy: does he crack the starting rotation?
    • Chris Carpenter: will he make it back to being Chris Carpenter?
    • Jeremy Guthrie: reports are he has a tired arm & sore shoulder, should he be one of the 5 dropped?

Like I said, I have to drop 5 from the roster and I'm trying to figure out how I get to 24. After we declare our keepers, we have a 3 round draft from the pool of scrubs. I realize most (if not all) of my question marks will be answered during the off season, but I figured I'd solicit input anyway.

So what do you guys think...
    Who should I keep?
    Who should I dump?
    Should I work the trade route, and if so, what should I trade for?
    Am I missing something in my analysis?
  14. Pig

I lost last weeks matchup, but just barely in some categories. Now I'll have to settle for playing for third place.
  15. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Beer Can Keith/Whatever his new name on here is beat me in the SATCH league. Now I'M playing for third place.
  16. Pig

You must be playing me then.

I think I lost to the top team in the league, so I gave it a good go.
  17. Racehorse

With Guthries "shoulder impingement", I dropped him and picked up Jorge Posada. This will allow me maybe package Molina or Posada with a reliever to two, helping me to both upgrade a position and create a roster space in order to help me get to 24.

:shrug:
  18. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

If tomorrow Floyd pitches a shutout and/or gets the win, or if (Orlando) Cabrera hits a grand slam or steals 2 bases, I'll finish 3rd in my league and win cash money.
  19. Pig

The leader of my Yahoo public league made a grand total of 161 moves to win the championship.
  20. Myrtle

Myrtle Boston Pubic

I've never participated in fantasy baseball before and my man started a league with work chums that I am in this year. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hold my own in the league... but I have really no experience with drafting or fantasy sports in general. He's been giving me all kinds of information but considering he's in the league with me, it's probably best that I don't really share the draft strategies I want to use with him.

So, aside from espn.com and yahoo.com do you people have any helpful hints for draft day?

Or any fun tips to give a newbie would be great too. Kthx.

:)
  21. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Grab a fantasy magazine too. I find it more helpful to be able to read through a magazine while you're drafting as opposed to switching over to another web site possibly missing some other picks.

Also, don't get hung up with getting a closer. In the WSI league there was a HUGE run on closers, that was just retarded. People were getting Brian Wilson and Brandon Morrow and Matt Lindstrom... and during those same rounds I was getting Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn and Bobby Abreu.

It's all about value.
  22. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

I always draft SP SP then best catcher\middle fielder, then go from there
  23. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

If you ever win a league with that strategy let me know because that is horrible drafting. Doug and I have the number one this year in a 5X5 league. Any suggestions, anyone? Except you Stockdale because we arent drafting a pitcher number one.

Retarded Ox added 1 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

cbs sportsline has some nice free features that could help you.
  24. Stockdale4Veep

I have won several leagues

The most valued spots are starting pitching and catcher\up the middle

start up a league so i can roll you

StockdaleForVeep added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Theres always an abundance of corner infielders and outfielders that will hit for decent numbers

StockdaleForVeep added 0 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Theres always an abundance of corner infielders and outfielders that will hit for decent numbers

StockdaleForVeep added 0 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

unless you have a megastar like pujols avail, then that changes things
  25. Retarded Ox

Most overvalued things are SP and Catchers. There are only about 5 SP that warrant a high draft pick and probably 3 or so catchers that warrant a 3rd round or 4th pick. Other then that you can stock up on everything else and wait for those. Your strategy worked really well for a buddy of mine last year when he took Santana and Peavy. I dont know, help me out Doug, I think he finished 8th.
  26. Stockdale4Veep

What number pick did he have

There has been a wide gap of successful hitting catchers in the league

On avg but not always my draftings go SP,SP,SS,CP then see others

I also prefer leagues with holds
  27. Retarded Ox

he had the 8th pick in a 10 team league. Santana 8th and Peavy 13th. There is a wide gap between the top 3 catchers in hitting and then they are all bunched up after that. CP also a horrible pick in the 4th round. You can always find a closer out there that will get you 30 saves and a decent whip and k number. Doug and I took Brian Wilson last year with our last pick and traded him for an offensive player later on. I wish we had a spot in our league for you. Easy money!!!
  28. Stockdale4Veep

Doubtful
  29. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Exactly. Decent starting pitching can be found form in much later rounds. You won't be 40 HR, 120 RBI in the 3rd-4th round. You can find a 3-4 ERA, 150 Ks and 14-18 wins all the way down to the 9th-10th round.

Closers don't get me started.

Let me just say, I won a league 2 years ago with Salomon Torres as my main closer and last year ended 3rd with Chris Perez as my main.

Just pay attention to the waiver wire, you'll find about 10-20 closer pickups during the year.
  30. Stockdale4Veep

Or you can corner the market and use as trade bait
  31. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

For what closers or starting pitchers?

I don't think there is a real market for either. You don't need a dominant picture to win a league, countless fantasy "experts" will tell you exactly the same thing. In a 5X5 format there is no reason whatsoever to get a pitcher in the first 2 rounds.
  32. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Right. The key to winning leagues is being able to draft dominant pitching in the LATER rounds. Tim Lincecum was a top fantasy pitcher last year and he was being drafted on average in the 10th round. Snagging him and Ian Kinsler in the later rounds and picking up TCQ off of FA won me a league last year, despite Kinsler's and TCQ's late season ending injuries. :happyguy:
  33. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Absolutely.

As I said above. It's all about value.

You aren't going to get Pujols production in any round or any pick outside the top 5-10.

You could very well get Peavy production in the 3rd-6th round. Pitchers more so than hitters have very up and down careers. As you stated, Lincy was a 10th round find for a lot of people, Roy Halladay can put up great numbers for you as a 4th round pick, I've seen Felix Hernandez go as low as 9th round this year.

The difference between a Felix Hernandez and a Johan Santana/Jake Peavy fantasy-wise is not as large as the difference between Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, A-Rod and JJ Hardy, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla.
  34. Stockdale4Veep

The key is sleepers
  35. QCIA

QCIA .

Fuckin Rios.:ridiculous: You better be roidin up this winter.
  36. Stockdale4Veep

Honestly, now that i think since its been a year since baseball drafting

I think i go SS\2B stud or avail 40 hr hitter, then 2 starters. I still draft a cp rather high

closers get saves and good whip\era stats
  37. RoobarbPie

RoobarbPie OK, NO PROBLEM?

List your sleepers for this year. I'm curious.
  38. Retarded Ox

I have never seen it work. If the guys know you are "cornering the market" and are smart about it, they can just wait you out.

might disagree about Jordan but FedEx speaks the truth:)

No shit sherlock!! Very rarely will a team win a league unless they have a sleeper come up big. Usually its not the draft either. Its a free agent pick up early in the year, ie Braun, Volquez, Hamilton (2 summers ago) etc etc

Retarded Ox added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

More truth :laff:

Retarded Ox added 0 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

More truth:laff:
  39. Domeshot17

Domeshot17 Crackin' Skulls

love my draft from this year. I ended up drafting really young towards the end (last 5 picks were Sanchez SP SF Tommy Hanson Matt Laporta Travis Hafner and Ian Stewart)

Lineup looking like Weiters C Prince 1b Brian Roberts 2b Hanley SS Chris Davis 3b Quentin-Bruce-Bradley-Cruz in the OF with Hafner Stewart Laporta and an open slot on the bench.

Pitching I landed Webb Volquez King Felix Scherzer BJ Ryan Clayton Kershaw Jonathan Sanchez Tommy Hanson and Trevor Hoffman
  40. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

jesus, is that a 10-team league or something? That's a very good team.
  41. Domeshot17

42. Stockdale4Veep

What you think bout my team dome
  43. SABRSox

Maybe this is just me, but I'm not taking Wieters as anything more than a C2 this year.
  44. Domeshot17

i like it, its really balanced. The only thing that scares me is lack of an RBI machine, but you have so many guys who are giving you power doubles rbis runs etc (like kinsler, pedroia etc)
  45. SABRSox

My strategy this year, as it was last year, is to wait until round 8 or 9 to draft pitching. I want to load up on offensive players first, and this year, I'm going to try to draft guys that will steal at least 10 bases each in the first 8 or 9 rounds. I probably won't break the bank for a "steals guy" though. I figure if I can get 8 or 9 guys that can steal 10 bases or more, that should be enough to compete, plus I can always use a late round flier on a cheap steals prospect.
  46. Stockdale4Veep

For the rest of you

Chris Iannetta, Garrett Atkins, Ian Kinsler, Chone Figgins, Jhonny Peralta, Vlad, Raul Ibanez, Xavier Nady, Dustin Pedroia, Edwin Encarnacion, Mike Napoli, Jason Bartltt

Matsuzaka, duscherer, papelbon, qualls, danks, buehrle, ziegler, kuo, Garland

Dome, whens the extra roster spot coming in?
  47. SABRSox

Ugh. I hate that team.
  48. Stockdale4Veep

Dome werent you number 12 on your picks?

I was 7-6
  49. Domeshot17

i was 1 and 12
  50. Racehorse

Roto Rebel: 5 things I hate about fantasy baseball

#2 rulz