Footy 16/17

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Was the reason Beasley was playing yesterday solely because of squad rotation? I don't understand why he's on the team still. He's 35.
  2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also Geoff Cameron is a Bengazhi truther

:laff:
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

No idea. Villafana should've started. Or maybe even Fabian Johnson. Or I don't know, call in another younger fullback like Greg Garza or Eric Lichaj.

He also retired after the World Cup but Jurgen convinced him to come out of retirement for the Gold Cup and has been in the mix since.
  4. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Rumors out that the Fire might be in on Kuba Blaszczykowski. Holy shit, they're really going for it.
    sycked likes this.
  5. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

:getsmart:
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Sycked brought up him to me today with no context and I thought he meant LFC was looking at him so I said "he's old and not that good anymore".

Would be excellent for the Fire
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

9. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

US has two failed PKs.

:bbwtf:
  10. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Top of the group, but seriously

:gun2:
  11. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Omar Gonzalez header gives US 1-0 lead off a beauty set piece from Bradley.
    Deuce likes this.
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Deadspin posted this ridiculous article about MLS which implies they need pro/rel in a few years because the author thinks there is some sort of MLS bubble that's about to burst and the league will be in dire financial status as a result

http://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

13. SABRSox

Pro/Rel should be part of the American game, though...
  14. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Why?

Other than, "Europe has it".
  15. SABRSox

Shitty franchises should die.
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:rolleyes:

Pro/rel is Europe is largely based on the luxury of having resources. We know Barca/Real aren't getting relegated from La Liga and La Liga's shitty revenue distribution model ensures they get the most money each year. Even in a more fair Premier League model, it's still clear that the top 6 aren't getting relegated. Man City can sign Mangala for 32 million pounds and Otamendi for 29 million and largely be underwhelming because they are backed by Dubai oil money. Or sign Wilfried Bony for 25 million when every knew he would just be a squad depth player. Claudio Bravo was a flop last season at 17 million so what do City do? They pay 35 million for Ederson this season.

Meanwhile the club that sold City Swansea, have to do just about everything right to stay up. Swansea initially succeeded because they had Brendan Rodgers who brought a Spanish possession tiki taka style of football into the PL. Lately the tiki taka system has gone out of style, not just in the PL but throughout European soccer. Players on Swansea that made them an initial success that could stay up in the PL, like Leon Britton got marginalized by the shift in tactics. Now typically you need pace players for direct counter attacking mixed with players that can press and win balls. A club like Swansea couldn't exactly afford to turnover their entire roster. They were built for a certain way and all of a sudden that strategy wasn't en vogue anymore and they had to adapt the best they can with the players they had.

A club like Swansea, being as small as they are, also have to be nearly perfect in the transfer market. They will also have bigger clubs take their best players- Bony, Joe Allen, Ben Davies, Michel Vorm, Andre Ayew. They also suffer when key players suffer sudden dips in form like Michu did in their second season up. It's hard for clubs like that to reload and make sure they get it right in replacements. Some teams, like Southampton, can do it. But look at Leciester, they won the title one year and were almost in a relegation battle the next. They couldn't find a replacement for Kante and a lot of their key players dipped in form- Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater. The numerous replacements they brought in were mostly foreign and had to adapt to the PL.

Somehow I don't think pro/rel in the PL would be popular if they had a strict salary cap and the big clubs couldn't just buy the best players to ensure they stay up. If Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Man City were all just a couple injuries and bad dips in form away from being relegation threatened that'd be trouble for the league. Same goes for in a strict salary cap league, it wouldn't be good if LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, NYCFC, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Toronto FC, New York Red Bulls and the upcoming LAFC could be relegated.

Also the Euro leagues have been around for 100's of years. They have the benefit of having a history that attracts people. MLS doesn't. You aren't going to get Giovinico, David Villa, Kaka, Gio Dos Santos, Michael Bradley, etc. to come play here if they have to go play the likes of Indy Eleven, OKC Energy and Charleston Battery. Nor is that going to attract sponsors or top dollar for media rights.

For better or worse things are just different in America. Also since soccer is new here, the NASL and USL aren't exactly stable leagues. No way can it be compared to the Championship in England. Relegation battles do make soccer unique and fun at the end of the season but it's just not going to work here at the moment or anytime in the next 20, 30 years. The financiers and ownership structure is not going to let it happen. You want billionaires to throw down $150 million for an expansion fee. That doesn't happen with the chance of relegation to devalue their franchise. Maybe 50 years of now, MLS will have 40 teams and do a closed 2 tier system. But that's more than a generation away and a lot of things have to change in not just MLS but American sporting culture. Like soccer has to be the #2 or 3 sport here for MLS to generate so much revenue that going to a 2 tier system doesn't really devalue anything and also having the market for 40 top tier teams with top flight level facilities.
    sycked likes this.
  17. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

When does the early games start on Saturdays again? I like going to Cleo's early.
  18. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

There is 1 game at 6:30, 5 at 9, and then 1 at 11:30

Then Sunday is 7:30 & 10.
  19. SABRSox

But that's the whole point. I don't want billionaires to throw down $150M expansion fees. I want local clubs to start up on their own, train, get better, recruit, build youth leagues to reinforce squad depths, train, get better, maybe eventually get good enough to win a league, move up, get better, maybe get good enough to win the next league, increase earnings, find ways to fund stadium construction on their own, without public largess, and eventually grow into a sustainable club.

The MLS system is terrible because these clubs are play things of the rich, and the local populace can't be bothered to give a fuck because it wasn't built out of nothing. Those teams in PL that have massive amounts of cash, they're at that level because they built that shit out of 100 years of toiling. Sure, lately some oligarchs have come in and thrown down a lot of cash on some of these teams, but the overwhelming majority were built from the grass roots, and that's how it should be done.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.