Footy 17/18

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Aug 8, 2017.

1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Jozy likely isn't going anywhere. He's still only 27. Wood can't ever seem to stay healthy for long periods of time. Morris in a sophomore slump at the club level right now. The next big thing is considered to be Josh Sargent but he's only 17. Sure someone else can break out. But Jozy will still be around for at least the next couple years. Maybe by the next WCQ's in 3 years he's out but he'll be still a core player.

Bradley who knows, he'd be 34 at 2022 so you'd think he would get phased out. We got a 'golden generation' of central mids that are in their late teens or early 20's except we might lose Jonathan Gonzalez who at 18 is a starter for a Liga MX team but I wouldn't blame him if he said fuck this and switched his allegiance to Mexico.
  3. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

sycked likes this.
  4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The fact that dipshit even got called up for a match like this shows we deserve this fate
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Twellman makes a good point about how we bring up the tired excuse of CONCACAF field conditions.

Does Bruce think places like Albania, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Cyprus and Luxembourg have great fields?
    IWMB likes this.
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What would Belgium do if they played in a rain soaked T&T field???

Win, for starters.
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Lot of casual soccer watchers don't understand how the game works. Herb Lawrence suggesting they recruit NCAA basketball players like the NFL tries to do. Had to explain to him you'd be lucky to get a guy to cut it in MLS, much less the USMNT
  9. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Just read it, what a dummy.
  10. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

USMNT leans too heavily on MLS, and you all know how much I hate MLS. We need our players playing in Europe, learning how to play at the high level that World Cup soccer requires. MLS allows too many of our players to coast and not develop. Granted, most of our team can’t play in Europe regularly, but that’s what US soccer needs.

Also need to dump Gulati.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

How does MLS allow our players to coast? Either you can play in Europe or you can't. Also we have many Americans playing in Europe in leagues/teams at the same level or worse than MLS.

The problem isn't MLS, the problem is not developing players good enough to play in the top tiers of the European leagues.
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Our old pal JJ Stakevitz tweeted that the USMNT should hire David Wagner, Hudderfields manager. Yeah that'd be nice except he has no reason to because he's going to be in line for big club jobs in the near future.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

[​IMG]
    Deuce likes this.
  14. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, you would think SABR would be able to focus his Eurosnobbery on the thing they're actually right on: We need to develop MORE players in our academies, get rid of pay to play, get rid of the collegiate system, get rid of the draft because everyone should be property of someone long before the graduate college...
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah exactly. Also the 2 Honduras players that scored yesterday play in MLS. The 2 Panamanian scorers, 1 plays in MLS and the other played in MLS from 13-15. If these teams can qualify with MLS players doing their scoring, then MLS isn't the problem.

Of course we need players to play on good European teams in their prime, but the issue isn't MLS.

MLS didn't allow Jozy and Bradley to get complacent. It was a lost generation of players that played in youth national teams from 2010 to 2016 that kept failing to qualifying for Olympics and U-20/U-17 World Cups by losing to inferior CONCACAF teams. Not surprisingly, very few of these players became senior national team regulars. This allowed a team full of old guard players that underwhelmed. Omar, Besler, Howard, Jozy, Bradley... most of these guys knew their place on the squad couldn't be challenged because at times there were no challengers. Hell, JK was still calling up Jermaine Jones in 2016.
  16. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I don't know what any of this means but didn't you guys say it would be impossible for them not to get in since they're like doubling the size of the tournament? Or is that the next one?
  17. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Not til 2026. 2 more under the current 32 team format.
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It's going to 48 in 2026.
  19. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yes, I know that it's not actually doubling.
  21. SABRSox

MLS is absolutely part of the problem. Without Pro/Rel, there is no pressure to perform to the highest levels. You can play at 80%, and nobody gives a shit if you win or lose because you will be in the league no matter what next season. That doesn't breed champions. In every other league, you lose and you're out. There are consequences, and those consequences drive you to perform at the highest levels.

Academies also need improvement in the US, especially in inner cities. US soccer is basically for rich kids still, and that's gotta change, though I can't imagine if the sport ever becomes popular in this country, the NCAA won't come in and fuck it all up.

The US also has a critical lack in coaching ability at all levels, and that hurts the national team. We need to be sending more former players to Europe to learn how coach and bring that knowledge back to the US.

Jurgen was saying a lot of this, but there are too many moneyed interests that will prevent meaningful change, so we have to hope we get lucky and find more Pulisics.
  22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Relegation in an American sports league?

:okay:

:business:

Many Mexican "inner city" neighborhoods have nice soccer facilities. Black and white city kids don't give a fuck.
  23. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Tell Curt Onalfo that there's no pressure in MLS; that there's always a next year.

Pro/Rel doesn't breed shit. The best players on relegated teams just get sold back up the pyramid. Pro athletes are competitors, they're giving their all every game. The idea that guys are coasting because they have nothing to play for is so completely out to lunch.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

My responses in bold

25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

For a guy that follows European soccer, Sabr should understand this more. When has Arsenal been in a relegation battle? There's no threat for players like Alexis, Welbeck, Ozil, Iwobi, etc. to get relegated. When a mid table team with a big fan base like Newcastle or Aston Villa get relegated, as you said, the best players get sold off. Sissoko, Gini, Townsend and Janmaat all left Newcastle back to PL teams after 16/17. Geuye, Traore, Ayew, Gestede, Westwood all did the same thing with Villa. When Middlesbrough went down last season, 2 of it's players went to Serie A, 1 to La Liga, and 1 to the Bundesliga. Wow they were terrified about the pressure of dropping to the Championship!
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It's not the facilities that are the issue. I mean at the end of the day you just need a ball and a field to play the game. Pay to play is due to the cost of travel, paying coaches (who are a joke compared to the rest of the world) and tournament organization. To develop talent, the best kids need to play each other. Dominating your high school league doesn't do much.

So pay to play doesn't give many poor kids a chance, unless they get noticed by a MLS team academy's scouts. But there are only 19 MLS teams in America and it's a big country. And it's not like these academies have unlimited spots- kids will still get overlooked.

If US Soccer built several youth training facilities across the country, with an unified coaching and development philosophy that would help a lot. New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Phoenix and a couple in under served soccer areas like New Orleans, Oklahoma City or Nashville would be my choices.

Also eliminate MLS archaic homegrown player rule. New York FC isn't going to take in a talented youngster from Oregon because Portland can anytime claim homegrown status and steal him away.
  27. SABRSox

Missing out on Champions League football is pretty much the same as relegation for top players.

As for the best guys on relegated teams, yeah, they usually move on back to the top leagues, but that's a handful of guys per team. The rest don't get that luxury, so yes, I think they do play a lot fucking harder, and I think that makes them better players as a result.
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Let me walk this back a bit.

The nice facilities that exist in Chicago are filled with Mexican kids (plus some Mexican and European adults). The only white kids I know who go to them have 2 parents from the suburbs who grew up playing soccer. I've never seen a black kid playing soccer in them. This is not because their travel teams are too expensive or because their coaches suck.

You could build the nicest facility in the world in Englewood and organize travel leagues for all age groups coached by the finest European coaches all paid by USA Soccer . . . and it would still primarily be used by Mexican kids. It's not just facilities and coaching. It's culture. Black and white city kids don't play soccer because they don't want to play soccer, and because there's plenty of other shit for them to do.

I mean, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, and youth coaches are fucking garbage in this city on average. That doesn't affect participation levels.
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Again though... not really. Alexis really wanted to leave Arsenal but Arsenal for whatever reason decided they would not sell him and now he's going to leave on a free next season. Liverpool's dark years of being shit led to the exodus of top players like Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Torres. If Gerrard and Carragher weren't local guys they would've left too.

Also the players that aren't good enough to move back into the top league after relegation AREN'T NATIONAL TEAM QUALITY PLAYERS England isn't calling up Jonjo Shelvey, Jack Rodwell, Ben Gibson or Micah Richards to help them win crucial national team games.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Making sure any talented Mexican on Hispanic kid in urban areas that wants to play high level competitive soccer would be a fantastic first start. We'd probably actually be a good team if these inner city Mexican kids got more involved with US Soccer. The failure at the youth national team levels I mentioned are teams comprised of mostly suburban white kids.
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Going to the Fire playoff game tomorrow :fruit:
    Deuce likes this.
  32. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Artist's conception:
    :gg:
    :gg:
  33. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

34. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sycked will be there in full kit.
    Cheeses, Deuce and sycked like this.
  35. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Fire with a nice reminder tonight of why no one gives a shit about them. What a waste.
    Deuce likes this.
  37. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Clearly a lack of pro/rel.

#HapsMemes
    Deuce, maurice and Cheeses like this.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

As I told you at the game, if we had pro/rel the Fire players would've tried much harder and won the game.
  39. SABRSox

If there was pro/rel, the team would have been relegated long ago, and sold to an owner who gave a shit about winning.
  40. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Pulisic writes an interesting piece about youth development, or the lack of it in American soccer for The Players Tribune:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-pulisic-usmnt-world-cup/

Wonder if he actually believes this- that he was more of a product of good training and development than his natural talent. But we don't really know what he means by talent- natural athleticism or technical skills? Or both?

You'd have to be the biggest shithead ever to not want American teens coming through European academies.

Pretty much says what we've all assumed this whole time, that US youth develop lacks because the top talent doesn't have enough top talent around them or as opponents and it stagnates development.

Some of these MLS teams are awful at playing young players. Which, okay that is their prerogative, but then you remember MLS has the homegrown rule so a kid from Kansas City or LA that wants to go to Dallas or New York, where they actually play young players can't because of the dumb MLS rule. Other leagues have top 17-18 years playing regular consistent minutes, MLS needs to be better at this. Either let youth players be able to pick their club or encourage more MLS to MLS loan deals.
  41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Italy didn't make the World Cup either. The last name of their manager: Ventura

:earwax:
  42. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

43. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Fucking brutal result. Italians crying all over the place. Makes me almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.
  44. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

45. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

How do you know when an Italian car has flat tires?
  46. Cheeses

Dago wop, wop, wop, wop...
  47. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

48. SABRSox

49. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

50. Cheeses

Think I learned that joke from my Portage Park cousins when I was 7 or 8. :D