Footy 17/18

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Aug 8, 2017.

1. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

2. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

My dad's been telling that forever
  3. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Liverpool pissed away a 3-0 lead against Sevilla

:haha:
  4. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

6. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

At least Honduras ain't there.
    Deuce likes this.
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

All the groups are easy except for F. I guess that's what happens with no Chile, Netherlands, Italy, and even USA. But in the case of the latter 3, that's what happens when you lack impact players under the age of 30.
  8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

@sycked @y2chae

You guys work Friday? Hapsabout for Arsenal/Liverpool?
  9. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Work

:gun2:

Will be a total waste of a day.

I liked the one week where daylight savings time was in effect in the US but not the UK. So games that started at 1:45p normally ended up being at 2:45p here. I raced out of work and made it to the bar in time for the start of the second half. Ended in UK the last Sunday of October and the first Sunday of November for the US.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I also work
  11. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Ah, job haps.
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Promising midfielder Jonathan Gonzalez who was named to Liga MX Best XI this past season at age 18 flips from USA to Mexico, presumably because Mexico can offer him a World Cup 2018 spot.

:finger: Bruce Arena
    :finger: Gulati
    :finger: Klinsmann
    :finger: USSF
  13. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Where's the middle finger to MLS, who would not have played him as an 18-year old?
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The reluctance of MLS top play promising American teenagers is a valid gripe but what does that have to do with this situation? He left America to find a better club and situation for him and it worked out for him. If USA had made the World Cup and could dangle a spot in the World Cup for him, this wouldn't be happening. MLS has nothing to do with losing this kid, it's the failure of the USSF.
  15. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

For sure, I don't disagree, but I think the US would lose a lot less prospects if their domestic league actually allowed them to play and grow. If he plays in Mexico, and excels, and the Mexican national team also comes calling, what allegiance does he have to the US after all of that?

Also, the USMNT should be cup-tying these guys early and often. Give them quick run-outs at the end of matches so this shit doesn't happen.
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Well if he had stayed in MLS and sat on the bench, his talent would've never been realized. MLS not playing young talent equals us losing players against ourselves not to other countries.

If the US had made the World Cup, Gonzalez is likely not switching. He's been involved in the US setup since the U14's and wasn't on Mexico's radar until his breakout. Can't blame him, I'd do the same if I could play in a World Cup at age 18/19.
  17. y2chae

y2chae Panda

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...henberg-our-federation-lost-jonathan-gon.html

Many times I've said US Soccer needs to open academies in inner cities that will attract minorities. Even if black youth don't give a shit, at least get Latino kids playing, since most are neglected in this system. Rothenberg is the son of a former USSF President.