I like beer

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by Timmy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Probably last year I go. Only will go because I misaed last year
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

If I go, it will be with a comp ticket for volunteers. Fuck paying that much.

I almost volunteered last year, but they had "mandatory training" at completely random times and places.
    Deuce likes this.
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Oh wait that's the weekend I may go to Grand Rapids
  4. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

False.

That's the weekend of the 18th.
  5. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Peas & carrots you two.
    chops, Fuller, IWMB and 1 other person like this.
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:weebey:
    Deuce likes this.
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Just 2 dudes being :gg:
    Deuce likes this.
  8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

$85?

:fuckallthat:
    chops likes this.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

In line with Maurice's observation that the latest trend is to be vague about what a festival ticket gets you, Alter made a Facebook event for their Alter Fest event. But no details on price and what it gets you.

On their website it's buried in the FAQ, $25/$20 early bird gets you entry and a glass. Still have to pay $5 per beer.

:cmon:

I'd complain to my buddy but he's not in charge of this event.
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Burn 'Em is having a Labor Day party with the same problem. You have to pay to get in, but it's probable that the entry fee gets you nothing except entry. It's only $10 but, if you're selling beer at regular prices, you don't need to charge entry too. They probably want to give the $$$ to some shitty band.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah $5/beer at Alter is a slight discount since their taproom beers usually range from $6 to 8. But it's still not worth it. Unless you want : chunks : haps you aren't going to drink 12 craft beers to get your value back. And as you say, when you assume the money is just going to some band no one has heard of... it doesn't make much sense.

Here's what I would do if I owned a similar sized brewery. Any band that plays is playing for free beer/food or free. No entry free aside from a suggested donation that goes charity, unless you do an entry fee that comes with drink tickets. No packing in useless items like a glass or mug to justify that price.

Not fair to compare to Goose Island, but 312 Block Party is the same day and a better value.
  12. chops

chops never met prope

Any band just playing for free beer/food or free is shitty.

Dudes gotta get paid.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

My overall point is unless you are booking bands people have heard of, no one cares. People go to these events primarily to drink a variety beer in an outdoor setting with friends. They don't want to pay a premium for live music.

None of the Friday Night Flights events I went to had a band. Didn't decrease my enjoyment one bit.
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

$5 beers in 12 oz plastic cups makes them plenty of money to pay their friend's shitty band.

These are breweries not bars.
    y2chae likes this.
  15. sycked

:thatsracist:

You were at the South Loop event which had a blues band.
    maurice likes this.
  16. chops

chops never met prope

But a shitty free band would probably decrease your enjoyment.

Any shithead owner of an establishment who expects a band to play for free or for a few free drinks is shitty.

You should not only pay the band, but you should also supply them with booze for free too.
  17. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah these breweries could sell beers for $3 in 12 oz cups and still make good money. Since they are selling their own beer with no middle man involved... your brewery signature event's focus should be to have a kick ass event and make some money doing so. If you try and maximize profits and make it less customer friendly, then I don't think that's good in the long run.
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Oh yeah. Assuming they played basically for free considering the cost of the event and the fact some lady kept trying to spam us with flyers for the band.

They didn't suck, so chops theory is debunked.
  19. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

:cmon:

May as well just play a Spotify playlist if you're going to be all like that.
    maurice and chops like this.
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

As maurice pointed out already, most of these acts are shitty bands that know the owner or someone that works for the brewery.
  21. CaptainBallz

Pussification of America
    chops likes this.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Like you would ever pay $20-25 for entry only to a beer fest to listen to bands no one has ever heard of.
  23. chops

chops never met prope

They may be, but there's no reason for a shitty band to play for free even if they are friends with the owners.

I'm saying that if someone owns a bar or brewery or restaurant or anything and they want to have a band, they should pay the band with money and not drinks/food. Also, you shouldn't own a brewery with your logic on having bands.

I generally hate live music if I'm a bar, beer fest, restaurant, etc. If they're having it, I'll usually leave. I would however stay for Ballz' shitty band.
    y2chae likes this.
  24. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

A few years ago, before Deuce became a :fruit: , we went to Founders to try whatever their hotshit beer was at the time. Dude asked us for a $10 cover "to pay the band." We said

:pass2:

and went right down the street to HopCat, which had the exact same beer for $2 less.

:business:
    Deuce and chops like this.
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I should clarify it's not the music itself I'm complaining about. It's like maurice said, given higher price for shitty no name vs lower price for no music, I'll take the latter.

312 Block Party will have bands that you may or may not like, but shit at least they've released legit albums.
  26. CaptainBallz

I wouldn't pay anything for a beer fest that doesn't include at least some beer in the price, bands or no bands. If it's $25 for and I'm at least getting some pours and I know a certain amount is also covering the bands, I'm good with that.
    chops likes this.
  27. chops

chops never met prope

I would also take the latter.
  28. CaptainBallz

:simon:
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

My point is that no-name bands are a generic overhead expense like toilet paper. If you think you should have some, roll it into the price of the beer. Don't nickel and dime me for something I don't care about and act like you're doing me a favor.

Using Chae's example, they were like, "$25 gets you an awesome glass AND admission AND festival activities AND fun with your friends." Bitch, stop trying to make one worthless thing sound like 4 valuable things.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah, I'm just asking for some sort of value. If you want to attach 3 or 4 drink tickets to that $25, that's good value. Brewery still makes plenty of money to pay the band.

I posted this somewhere before, probably in this thread. Lagnituas recently released the info of their yearly event, the beer circus- $40 with no word of any drinks that come with that price. It's cool you have music or some stupid circus/quasi Juggalo performers but the hell am I getting for my $40?
  31. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

Speaking of, what bands are playing the Goose Island block party this year?
  32. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Animal Collective, Ted Leo, The Record Company
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yes it's always the nebulous 'festival actives' which means we're making you pay for the band
  34. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

"Festival activities" means "we'll have bags and maybe one of them giant jengas"
    ...like every other brewery with a patio has all the time with no cover.
    sycked likes this.
  35. chops

chops never met prope

My issue was with chae being shitty and saying he'll pay his band in food/drink or not at all.

:angry:
  36. CaptainBallz

Yes.

As a musician who has many times been graciously offered compensation in the form of "EXPOSURE," I take umbrage at the notion that even shitty musicians' time and efforts aren't deserving of cash considerations.

p.s. I'd play for unlimited beer anyway.
    Deuce and maurice like this.
  37. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I've had at least two babysitters tell me that I can pay them "whatever" including "nothing," because they were good white Christian girls or some bullshit. I told them both:
    "Bitch, your time is fucking valuable, especially on a Saturday night. Never be afraid to ask for what you're worth."

I pretty much distribute more life lessons than every football coach combined.
    Deuce, SABRSox and CaptainBallz like this.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Wasn't trying to imply musicians should play for free. My overall point was the customer doesn't want the price of a no name band pushed to them to the point it's clearly a rip off to attend a beer festival.
  39. sycked

312 Block Party had Against Me! last year perform and they're better than 99.9% of the acts that you'll ever see at a beer festival. $10 suggested donation which was easily circumvented if that's your jam. A member of the board that will go unnamed opted for said method last year.
  40. Cheeses

41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

cheeses didn't pay?

:bam:
    chops likes this.
  42. sycked

Wasn't who I had in mind, but I'll take it.
  43. Cheeses

Actually, I can't remember if I paid or not -- I seem to recall standing in a really long line but then there not being anyone there taking donations, or something.

In any case, I'm paying to see AM! at Concord in a month or two, so I'm good.
    sycked likes this.
  44. chops

chops never met prope

suggested donations are dumb
  45. y2chae

y2chae Panda

There was a couple charities that weren't bullshit so I paid. Greater Chicago Food Depository
  46. sycked

Chicago Blackhawks charity, though.
  47. Cheeses

I give them $10/month :snob:
  48. sycked

Tax write off haps?
  49. Cheeses

I can't itemize anymore, so...no. :larussa:
  50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If that was the only charity option I wouldn't have paid.