Joe Paterno: He Gawn

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by BURGH, Jan 21, 2012.

1. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Learns of child rape, allows rapist to continue to use University facilities

/happened
  2. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

Very well put. But still, I can't get past the conflict between the portrayals of Paterno as a benevolent, caring human that strove to not only be a great football coach, but an educator of values, and the alleged complete ignorance of child rape.
  3. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

thats the thing
  4. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

HE COULDNT FATHOM IT
  5. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

ZMZ walks through a turnstyle at Beaver Stadium

/never happened
    zmz likes this.
  6. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

fuck ass
  7. zmz

Now we just need :zo: back, and site will be huge
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Pretty sure having not gone to Penn State allows me to have a more unbiased opinion. It's not like I'm some Pitt (whoever their rival is I don't even know) grad using this with an axe to grind against my hatred of Penn State. I didn't have an opinion about Penn State or Joe Pa before any of this shit happened. I just thought Joe Pa was a dude for the past decade that's been senile and whatever- like I said I didn't care. But this notion that a football coach is some great man because he stayed at the same school for a long time and that he should essentially get a pass for not doing more in regards to Sandusky... it just bothers me greatly. The guy coached football. What he was doing wasn't exactly some noble cause. It was just football.
  9. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

10. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

JOE PATERNO WAS OUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
  11. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

And well if you want to make the argument he was too old at that point to do anything about it. In 1998 he was what... 72? I just don't buy that at being an age where he was too old to really realize the seriousness of the allegations and so he tried to let others handle it. We'll probably never know the real specific details of when he knew what but if he knew anything before 1998 that doesn't help his case.
  13. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I can't wait until R convinces a girl to marry him and let her carry his kid and then live in this world
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I know, then I'll finally be able to understand the relationship of Joe Paterno and Penn State fans.
    BBJ, whitesox901 and zmz like this.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also being a UIC grad, I am more informed to give opinions about Curtis Granderson than the rest of you
    Ziggy likes this.
  16. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Yeah, at fucking age 72 especially
  17. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Joe Paterno spent fucking DECADES saying / "Bitch Please"
  18. zmz

Have you ever gone to Les Miller Field and cheer on the Flames with 200 other fans?
    sycked likes this.
  19. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

He also spent some time eating shit on the Enabling Child Molestation scene. Got through it, though.
  20. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I dont think you gay gentlemen get it:

Fuck Sandusky

Leave Joe alone
    chops likes this.
  21. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

They both suck.
  22. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

One time I looked at the field from my apartment. True story.
  23. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

No, not at all. Joe and his wife Sue had their own thing going on. They built our Library. Joe fucking hated Sandusky and told him "You will never replace me at Penn State"
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

No but I did catch a UIC basketball at the UIC Pavilion once against #7 Butler! Game sucked and dude I went with said "If this is the #7 team in the country, we have some shitty teams in this country."

It was the year before Hayward I believe, but Matt Howard was on the team, flopping around and being white and goofy.
  25. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Joe Paterno had a "working friendship" with Jerry Sandusky but was never ever a friend
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

This is the type of thing I'm talking about though. He's just a football coach. Why does it mean so much to you?

It would've meant the world to me if the Bears were able to win Super Bowl XLI. But I don't have any hero worship for guys like Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Hester, etc.

I cheer for them and I do like the personal character of guys like Tillman but I don't go nuts over them. I know University of Illinois sports gets mocked at for being second tier in both basketball and football but it's times like this I hope alums from that school are happy that their school is more known for academics than any sports team. Same goes for places like Northwestern and U of Chicago.

And before someone else points out, UIC is known for just being shitty at everything.
    BURGH likes this.
  27. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Why does it mean so much???

You didn't go to fucking Penn State
  28. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If the rumors are true, that Paterno and Sandusky deep down really didn't care for each other at all, which I am inclined to believe- Paterno should've just ousted Sandusky completely.

Perhaps Paterno thought Sandusky had built too much political capital within the community. After all everyone thought Second Mile was great. And the only way to truly take down Sandusky was to expose the child sex acts, but he couldn't do that without hurting the good name of Penn State either. I don't know, no one is saying Paterno is a monster or anywhere near the level of Sandusky but the reality is he should have done more- something he self admitted.
    BURGH likes this.
  29. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Who cares that you have an iconic stadium and iconic coach?!

:americanlifesince1894:
  30. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Dawg; everyone is saying Paterno is a monster; are you dumb?

That's why I'm mad
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Again that's the root of the problem. The fact a college football program means that much, I don't think is a good thing.

:shrug:
  32. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Well he's nowhere near Sandusky level and monster is being used to describe Sandusky so I don't think it's fair to say Paterno is one. But my point is this, I don't feel sorry for the dude.

Add to the fact that all these other famous college coaches and assholes like Coach K weigh in about how great Paterno is. The added college coaching circle jerk I guess adds to my frustration about the whole thing. If people just shut up about Paterno I would probably just shut the hell up about this too.
  33. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

The thing is:

Paterno WAS a great man

Some bullshit happened.
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:shrug:

I think we can agree it's pointless to argue this any further, it's not going to really accomplish anything. We have our differences on the matter and so be it.
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sure, but I don't think I know any Catholics who believe in all (or even most) of the Church's teachings, including priests. It's more a charity organization than a religious organization at this point. I mean, look at church attendance.
  36. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I'm a fucjub----
    I'm a fucking Glasgow Rangers fan and I support this post
  37. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

38. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

That's kind of the side I'm on re: Paterno. I think that shit was just too much for his old ass to comprehend and he did what he thought he was supposed to do to comply with policy, and handed the responsibility off to someone else he hoped would figure out what the fuck was going on. He was probably on autopilot the last 10 years of his time at Penn State anyway.

I don't think he did (or didn't do) anything with any sort of calculated malice, just didn't really fully understand the implications of what Sandusky was being accused of. You can sort of tell by that one wacky press conference he gave in front of his house where he was like "uh.... something about inappropriate behavior and a coach? I don't know... I had someone else deal with it and I guess they didn't. [shrug]"

People are acting like he wrangled up little boys for Sandusky to prey on, but it's probably just more likely that he heard some sort of very vague version of "Sandusky being inappropriate" and simply assumed it would be taken care of by someone who wasn't 80 years old and the figurehead head coach of a major football program.

Who fucking knows, but to dance on his grave when you'd otherwise not really give a shit either way seems a bit like piling on. As for Sandusky? Hopefully he'll get a lifetime worth of shower parties in prison. I hear they don't really like the kid touchers too much in there.
    chops, BURGH, SoxFan76 and 1 other person like this.
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

And now for something completely different:
    [​IMG]
  40. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Is that Joel McHale?
  41. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

Plus didn't you once eat a burger on friday during March
  42. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I was not aware of this...

http://loop21.com/content/other-penn-state-cover-death-threats-against-black-students

43. y2chae

y2chae Panda

44. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Assuming that's true along with the other things we know, it's clear Paterno cared way more about the university than anyone who went there or was brought there.

One thing I always wondered (and I don't remember seeing it in the grand jury report) is whether he followed up after telling Curley and Schultz about what McQueary saw. Like "hey, what did you guys find out about that Sandusky thing? I still see him hanging around campus." Maybe he did, but if he didn't, I think that tells us a lot.
  45. BBJ

BBJ Well-Known Member

Burgh's posts and the fact that many people feel like that is really really creepy.

He was just a football coach.

There are a lot more important things in the world like preventing the rape of children.
  46. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

Maybe we can all just agree to disagree, rather than continuing to hammer this topic into the turf, eh?

:happyguy:
  47. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

I have to think at the end of the day Joe Paternford was more good guy than bad. I mean honestly, right? Anyone? Who the fuck knows anymore.

It's just kinda some bullshit this had to go down. Closed, and re-opened.
    Quaye likes this.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Yeah, let's go back to talking about more newsworthy stuff like how many high schools Gaelic attended.
    Ziggy likes this.
  49. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

Was it 6?
  50. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans