Kahnle, Robertson & Frazier to Yankees for Blake Rutherford, Ian Clarkin, Tito Polo & Tyler Clippard

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by SABRSox, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

2. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

3. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Rick Hahn is out here swinging his dick.

:dickswing:
  4. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Worth it if they get some of those NYY prospects. Relievers are too volatile and given his age, who knows if he's still in this current form a few years from now when he's thirty?
    Ziggy, maurice and whitesox901 like this.
  5. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Kahnle might be the addition that gets us a top 10 prospect in return.
  6. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

7. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

9. Cheeses

10. Cheeses

11. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Position: OF Age: 20 DOB: 05/02/1997 Bats: L Throws: R Height: 6' 3" Weight: 195 lb. Drafted: 2016, 1st (18) - NYY Other Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#30)
    Watch
    Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

After entering 2016 as the top-rated prep position player in the Draft, Rutherford got passed by fellow California outfielder Mickey Moniak and slipped all the way to the Yankees at No. 18 overall amid concerns about his age (19 years, 1 month when he got picked) and signability. Signed for $3,282,000, a franchise record for a hitter, he immediately looked like a steal by batting .351/.415/.570 in Rookie ball. The only downside to his pro debut came when he strained a hamstring in August, but he returned in instructional league.

The most productive offensive player on the U.S. national 18-and-under team that included three other seven-figure bonus babies and won the 2015 World Cup in Japan, Rutherford is a rare talent who has the chance to hit for plus average and power. He has a smooth left-handed stroke with plenty of bat speed, recognizes pitches well, shows signs of patience and uses the entire field. While he currently employs a line-drive approach, he has big raw power and will tap into it once he adds some loft to his swing.

Rutherford entered pro ball as a solid runner and a center fielder, but he should slow down as he starts to fill out and most scouts believe he'll wind up on an outfield corner. Evaluators grade his arm anywhere from fringy to above average, and he could become the type of athletic left fielder needed at Yankee Stadium. He has drawn comparisons to a more athletic version of David Justice, part of New York's 2000 World Series championship club.

:nng:
  12. Cheeses

2019 SOX run differential: 1320
  13. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I guess Hahn is writing the book on how to do a rebuild. Called "What a Difference a Year Makes"
  14. Cheeses

:tyler:
  15. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Well, looks like we've got our 2020 outfield anyway.
  16. Unregistered

17. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Sounds like we're getting back a top-end prospect (Rutherford), a Coop'llfix'm (Clarkin), and a shitty MLB contract (Clippard).

:notbad2:
  18. Team Speed

I guess Clippard could also be Coop'llfix'm 2 (electric boogaloo)
  19. Unregistered

Official.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/whitesox-trade-frazier-robertson-kahnle-yankees.html

Clippard’s inclusion may have helped sway the Yankees into parting with a bit more in a what is essentially a three-player package that is headlined by Rutherford. The 20-year-old Rutherford was New York’s first-round pick in 2016 (No. 18 overall) and is off to a .281/.342/.391 start with Class-A Charleston. While those numbers don’t immediately jump out, he ranked as the game’s No. 36 overall prospect on Baseball America’s midseason update less than two weeks ago.

Rutherford entered the year as MLB.com’s No. 30 overall prospect, though his unspectacular start to the season may well cause that ranking to dip a bit. (He did not, for instance, rank on the midseason Top 50s of ESPN’s Keith Law or Baseball Prospectus.) Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo noted that he has the potential to hit for average and power, though their report notes that he’s likely to end up in an outfield corner — probably left field due to an arm that is more average than great.

The Yankees dealt from an area of depth in moving Rutherford, as Aaron Judge has cemented himself in right field, while Clint Frazier is doing his best to cement himself as a big leaguer right now. Beyond that, Aaron Hicks is controlled through 2019, Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner both remain under contract, and the team is obviously hoping for a full recovery from Dustin Fowler, who suffered a severe knee injury in his MLB debut.

Clarkin, meanwhile, ranked 19th in a stacked Yankees farm system this winter, per Callis and Mayo, while ESPN’s Keith Law had him 13th. peg him as a possible mid-rotation starter if all goes according to plan, praising a fastball that sits 90-93 mph and reaches 95 mph. Clarkin commands the pitch well, and Baseball America gives him a chance to have an above-average curveball. He’s repeating Class-A Advanced and has impressed with a 2.61 ERA, 7.1 K/9, 3.1 BB/9 and a 53.7 percent ground-ball rate. With 175 1/3 innings under his belt in High-A, the former first-round pick (No. 33 overall, 2013) could conceivably be in line for a promotion to Double-A this summer.
  20. Team Speed

Fourth guy going to Sox is Tito Polo

[​IMG]
    chops and IWMB like this.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

22. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

23. whitesox901

24. BeviBall

So, we still have to move Melky, Jones, Petricka, Gonzo, Shields and if the price is right... Avi and Abreu.
    chops likes this.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Shields

:homerlaff:
    Cheeses and chops like this.
  26. BeviBall

You never know. Shit we got Eloy for a 4/5 rotation guy just a week ago. / :chad:
  27. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Jones is out for the year, he just had surgery. Petricka is injured, no surgery, but no team is going to give up anything for an injury prone reliever. Shame about Jones, he had more value than Robertson due to his contract had he stayed healthy, that's why selling high right now on Kahnle made sense.

So awesome we didn't trade MiGo in the middle of a 2.1 WAR season... this year -0.2 WAR. Most teams would probably be better off calling up someone from AAA. Hopefully he puts together a couple more quality starts and can bring back some sort of asset.
  28. BeviBall

Didn't realize that about Jones. Could see Petricka being moved by 8/31 when he's back. And don't forget, a stupid team traded FOR Shields a few years ago when they had next to no use for him. Goddamn, fuck KW in the ass.
    Team Speed and chops like this.
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I didn't know Putnam under went Tommy John. That's 3 relievers that would've had value- Jones, Petricka, Putnam all with big injury questions now.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The thing with Petricka is, he's been bad when actually on the mound so he's either been not 100% this whole year, coming back from a serious injury last year, or he's just bad now.

Shields, yeah you can maybe get something if he strings together a few quality starts. We also have until 8/31 to deal Shields, since no one is going to claim him off waivers.
  31. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

[​IMG]
    sycked and BeviBall like this.
  32. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Seen a few people worried about Rutherford's power potential given his .281/.342/.391 slash in A.

I can tell you as someone who has been to Charleston, SC in the summer and has been to the stadium in which he plays most of his home games... it's not easy to have power. The air is THICK and it's on the water. Charleston's team-best SLG belongs to Estevan Florial who has 11 home runs and a .477 SLG.

Rutherford's Home/Away Splits:

Home: 33 games, .242/.308/.320
    Away: 38 games, .315/.373/.452
    maurice, Team Speed and zmz like this.
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

That's the inverse slash line of a typical Rockies player
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also, a lot of 20 year olds are still finding their power stroke with a wood bat. People tend to see stats and freak out before they know the whole picture, Giolito this year is a good example.
  35. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Right, he's also 20 and power comes as you get older and your body fills out. He hits a solid amount of doubles and that's a good indication that the power is there and will develop over time.

Plus the roided up MLB balls.
  36. whitesox901

I feel like we should have gotten more.
  37. Cheeses

38. whitesox901

Old fagg0t
    Team Speed and y2chae like this.
  39. SABRSox

Frazier and Robertson were on expensive contracts. They weren't bringing back a whole lot. Kahnle was what landed us Rutherford, and even then, we had to take back Clippard's bad contract.

I think Hahn did pretty well.
    Cheeses likes this.
  40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

[​IMG]
    Ziggy, FedEx and chops like this.
  41. chops

chops never met prope

Joe Borchard sighting?

Damn
  42. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Dude has a big frame and will fill out. In the article I linked, he talks about spending every offseason on keto and mickers.

Speaking of Micker, Adolfo has the same plan. He was rail thin a couple of years ago but is jacked now, and the results have followed.
  43. SABRSox

The 2020 White Sox should be entertaining to watch.

1B Delmonico / Sheets
    2B Moncada
    SS Anderson
    3B Davidson / Burger
    LF Jimenez
    CF Robert
    RF Rutherford
    C Collins

P Rodon
    P Kopech
    P Lopez
    P Giolito
    P Fulmer
  44. BeviBall

I'm not convinced Adolfo won't be up here by then as well.
  45. chops

chops never met prope

I'm so excited for two and half more seasons of shittiness!
    Cheeses likes this.
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Cheap tickets and empty crowds
  47. chops

chops never met prope

Who cares. Rebuilds suck. Although, it seems like they are going about this the correct way. Unless everyone they get turns out to be Jared Mitchell and Lance Broadway, then we're fucked forever.
    I can't say I'm pissed they traded away all these bums because the current way wasn't working either. How much was Robin's fault? KW's? Fucking sucks. And doomed to be shitty for a few more seasons.

Go Cubs?
  48. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Who gives a shit this team was middling around at .500 or choking away in September during pennant races, I'd rather completely suck for 3 years and get 3 top 5 picks
    Ziggy and CaptainBallz like this.
  49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:

I vastly prefer this to what they do most of the time. This is like the early '90s all over again with more depth and, hopefully, better results. The kids can play. I can't wait to dream.
  50. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Cubs since Theo started the rebuild:

2011: 71-91
    2012: 61-101
    2013: 66-96
    2014: 73-89
    2015: NLCS

SOX attendance hasn't even suffered at all, either