Looking ahead to 2018

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by maurice, Aug 21, 2017.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Earliest "looking ahead" thread ever! That's what happens when you're playing for 2019/20.

C - Smith and Narvaez have established themselves as decent MLB backups; adequate bats but not so much behind the plate. I imagine that the Sox will look for a grindy veteran type who can frame pitches and work with the very young staff. Collins hopefully is the long-term future at this position. Zavala and Skoug provide some organizational depth.

1B - Abreu is there for the taking, but I don't know if anybody will try to take him. Unless Hahn gets blown away by a prospect package, he will remain the elder statesman and clubhouse leader, especially to the young Latin American players. Delmonico is hitting at unsustainable levels, but he has MLB talent and can fill this role if Abreu gets moved. Otherwise, there will be plenty of ABs available at LF and DH. Gillaspie will try to pull his career back together in AAA, but the next closest 1B prospects will be in A ball.

2B / SS - Hopefully, Moncada and Anderson will have these locked up for years to come but, even if they don't, the Sox should run them out there every day all summer to find out exactly what they have. Sanchez and Saladino (when healthy) are adequate backups. I don't know what to make of Hanson. The Sox have zero solid prospects at these positions above rookie ball. I wonder if Hahn will target middle IF with his very high 2018 draft pick.

3B - Davidson had a breakout year and has earned the chance to keep the ball rolling next year. Otherwise, he, Sanchez, and Saladino are keeping to position warm for Burger, the Sox 2017 top draft pick. Peterson is another former top prospect trying to pull his career back together in AAA.

OF - The Sox are crazy deep at this position across the organization after the recent trades, and it's really difficult to say who will fill these spots in 2020. For 2018, tho, we might see the return of the all-Garcia OF. AGarcia is in a similar spot as Abreu; very productive player this year, but probably can be traded for the right package. LGarcia broke out like Davidson, but can he keep it up? It really doesn't matter, because there is a long line of guys waiting to fill these spots, including Delmonico, Hanson, WGarcia, Engel, Cordell, Liriano, Polo, and Tilson (if he ever stops being made of glass). In the long-term, all 10 of those guys might be gone in favor of some combination of Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, Fisher, Call, and Basabe.

(pitchers in my next post)
    samram likes this.
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

SP - The organization looks to be in great shape in terms of putting together a young, cost-controlled rotation with electric stuff. Rodon is already a top 10 or 15 SP in the AL in terms of talent. If he stays healthy, he should put up some serious numbers in 2018. Lopez and Giolito should to join him to form the beginning of a young core. Much like Moncada and Anderson, the Sox simply need to keep running these guys out there to see what they can do, because they have nothing left to learn in the minors. The rest of the rotation will be Shields (until Hahn can cut his losses), some veteran Cooplfxm projects, and an occasional AAAA fill-in starter like Danish and Beck. Waiting in the wings is Kopech, arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball. Right behind him are very talented guys like Hansen, Dunning, and Cease, plus additional depth guys like Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Clarkin, and Puckett.

RP - The bullpen should continue to be plenty shitty next year, but a tanking team doesn't need to hold a lead, right? Should be a steady stream of the aforementioned Cooplfxm projects and AAAA pitchers, plus Jones and Petricka (when they're not on the DL) and Minaya and Bummer (if they can throw strikes). Maybe the Sox will come to their senses this year and convert Fulmer into a reliever. In the long run, the Sox have WAY more than 5 legit SP prospects, so some of them will need to be moved to the pen or traded. That group is an embarrassment of riches, and the way they shake out will determine whether the Sox can contend as early as 2019.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    samram likes this.
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  4. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

It's gotta happen.
  5. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Does he potentially have closer stuff?

BTW, excellent summary!
  6. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

Fulmer needs to be molded into a RP/Closer.. been stating that for a while.

2018 Rotation
    Rodon
    Lopez
    Shields
    Giolito
    Gonzalez/Buchholz as M said, some Coop can fix them project at low cost.

AS for Lineup
    C- Who Cares
    1b- Abreau, as much as you want a good package he is a great guy to have for the kids
    2b. Sanchez.. Just kidding Moncada.
    SS. Anderson, the off-season better clear his head.
    3b. Davidson
    LF- AVI, limit his bad fielding.
    CF- Tilson
    RF-Delmonico
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Tilson isn't magically being handed the starting job over L Garcia. Or anyone, since he's made of glass.
    IWMB likes this.
  8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Forgot Tilson still existed
    Ziggy and chops like this.
  9. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Am I the only one that doesn't give a single shit about Charlie Tilson?
  10. BeviBall

LG looks good to me!
  11. AnthraxFan93

Are we really going to discuss which AAAA player is better for a rebuilding team that won't be here when they start "Winning"!
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I think the idea is that he has to be not on the DL to do anything.

Almost every player I listed will get a shot at some point, if healthy.
  13. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

AAAA player means replacement level.

Leury this year is well above replacement level.
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Exactly someone who has posted a 1.7 WAR in 78 games has earned the respect of being considered more than an AAAA player.
  15. AnthraxFan93

Okay, which 4th OF.. Better?
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:deepsigh:

You are missing the point completely. When he's been on the field Leury has been a good player this year. Yet you listed Tilson ahead of him in the depth chart, a guy who hasn't even played in over a year due to injury. Now you are saying it's some sort of "who cares" type of open competition when it's not. Barring a huge slump down the line, Leury has earned a starting job in the OF for 2018.

If L Garcia continues to perform like this, he's a legit MLB starter or trade chip.
  17. AnthraxFan93

IF and Buts were candy and nuts.. we all have a world series winner.

You win, L Garcia starting CF in 2018 let's start putting his bust together for Copperstown! My Bad for not seeing how great he is based off nearly 300 PA. I am in your debt for pointing this out. Thank you..
  18. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:trollsox:

Not even worth getting into how backwards your argument is, before you get into saying things that nobody has.
    Ziggy and BeviBall like this.
  19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Right now, LGarcia is an actual MLB player and the 2nd best OF on the Sox. Being a mediocre starter on the second worst team in baseball doesn't get you into Cooperstown, but he's leaps and bounds better than the 3rd OF (who I guess is Engel at this point). There's a pretty good chance that he, AGarcia, Davidson, Smith, and/or Narvaez take a big step back in 2018. Delmonico is guaranteed to take a step back. But they've all done enough to earn MLB jobs for the first half of the season.

Tilson has had neither sustained MLB success nor sustained health. Engel (like May) is very unlikely to ever have sustained success at the MLB level because he can't consistently hit for average. There's no reason to think that any of them can hold a starting job, and I project all 3 of them as inadequate 4th OF. That leaves plenty of OF/DH ABs for some combination of Delmonico, Hanson, WGarcia, Cordell, Liriano, Polo, etc.
  20. AnthraxFan93

Sarcasm is lost on some here. I could care less who the CF is in 2018, as I have said they won't be here when it really matters. You want 2018 to be a tank season as well, with hopes of turning it around in 2019 with the kids in the minors. The Sox Mngt finally get it.. Just wish the fans would understand the plan more.
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The fact that Avi is likely to take a step back would be why I'm open to dealing him.
    Ziggy and AnthraxFan93 like this.
  22. Cheeses

Cheeses The canvas can do miracles Cupcake Mod

Copperstown?

:cmon:
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yes the team will be bad in 2018 but that doesn't mean you shouldn't care about the micro. If Garcia is say a 2.7 to 3 WAR player, that's great to keep around especially under team control until 2020. A 3 WAR player would have been #7 on the 2005 White Sox. The Sox starting CF that year, Scott Podsednik had a 1.7 WAR. Garcia has a 1.7 WAR in 50 less games.
  24. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Who here doesn't get the plan?

:helloexactly:

Dipshit Anthrax assumes the entire 2019/20 teams are still in the minors. They need to get lucky on some of these guys who will be in the 2nd half of their service time.

EDIT: FWIW, Pods was in left. Rowand was the CF
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    BeviBall likes this.
  25. BeviBall

And Ballz thought AF93s fecal four showing wasn't warranted.

:bunk:
    Ziggy and CaptainBallz like this.
  26. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Gearing up for a deep 2018 ToS run....

Until he slams face first into the meatgrinder of Cheeses' eclipse experience and Loftus' Aurora-hardened balls!
    Ziggy, zmz, BeviBall and 1 other person like this.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

SAD that we're so used to position prospects failing that we feel lucky when some of them finally hit.

There are plenty of very talented guys on the MLB team this year. They just shit the bed for a few years.

Some will regress to shitty, but some could keep it up or (shudder) actually improve like others their age!
  28. y2chae

y2chae Panda

cheeses eclipse and mean streets of Aurora is a solid 1-2 on the power rankings right now
    chops likes this.
  29. chops

chops never met prope

Speaking of Pods, and yes MAGGS is right, Pods was in Left.

The other day I was looking at Pods baseballreference page.

Somehow I forgot that his uselessness came back in 2009.

:shrug:
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Shit. I just lazily thought the fast grindy white with no power would be a CF.
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, no arm either. Also, who could forget:

[​IMG]
  32. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

It was Pod's noodle arm that allowed the tying run to score in the BOT 9 of WS Game 2 back in 2005(!!)

One half inning later: :jb:
    Ziggy and chops like this.
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah obviously I remember Rowand was the CF now. But looking back... the idea of a guy hitting 0 HRs in the regular season playing corner OF
  34. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

I think since they have a little time with him, the Sox are trying to be accommodating in letting Fulmer think he's a SP. Mainly so he doesn't get disgruntled as a bullpen guy in the majors, so they're hoping getting rocked a bunch as a starter shows him what everyone around him already knows. Give us 2 IP out of the pen from time to time and we'll all be happy.
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It's not like he's cooperating with them. They spend every spring trying to fix his crappy drop-and-drive approach. At the first sign of trouble, he abandons the changes and goes back to his garbage delivery that is unable to consistently produce strikes over a 6+ inning period. The Sox org clearly has the best pitching coaches in baseball, so WTF is this bullshit?

[​IMG]
  36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Odd because almost no one pitches like that anymore
  37. DepaulSox

DepaulSox Well-Known Member

Or wears stirrups. Not sure if that's cool. I guess it is.
  38. Cheeses

Looks like Mickey Lolich. :oldman:
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Anthrax's posts make sense now. I just noticed that equivalent threads on soxtalk contain multiple posters seriously arguing that Anderson and LGarcia shouldn't start out of Spring Training at SS and OF next year because they'd rather see Saladino, Cordell, Engel, and Tilson get gifted those starting jobs instead.

I wonder what those 4 guys have in common that they don't share with Anderson and Garcia.

:thinking:
  40. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

41. Cheeses

42. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

43. BeviBall

44. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Saladino is not white.
    chops and y2chae like this.
  45. BeviBall

46. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

You think Dave from Orland Park knows he's part Flip?

Dave thinks that Saladino is his paisan, and he knows for sure that he isn't black and isn't from the DR.
  47. y2chae

y2chae Panda

White peope think Saladino is Mexican if anything
  48. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, definitely no one is looking at him and thinking 'that's a white guy'.
  49. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Were you planning on going to Chicago at all?
  50. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

nvm

The Reds claimed him yesterday after the Sox took him off of the 40 man.