Minor League Roadtrip Haps

Discussion in 'Trolling for Minors' started by maurice, Aug 22, 2013.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The International League (AAA) released their 2014 schedule super-early this year.

The Charlotte Knights (Sox affiliate) will make their annual trips...
    - to Columbus and Toledo in late-May
    - to Indy and Louisville in late-July

They also will be opening their new downtown home ballpark, so maybe I'll do a combo Louisville / Charlotte trip.

http://www.milb.com/documents/0/1/8/578 ... kt7ng0.pdf
  2. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Damn, have they ever released a schedule before the current regular season was finished? Looks like they're on top of things.

I never made it to Louisville this summer. Wasn't enough time for me to do something like that. Maybe some year I can say I'll go without having to lie about it. :dunno:
  3. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:orly:

So that's who they are.
    chops likes this.
  4. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

[​IMG]

Looks like a great location
  5. Pig

Wow, that is a great view from the stands. That may rival some of the MLB's better backdrops, in my opinion.
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Minor league rosters starting to trickle out. No major surprises.
  7. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Per the other thread, it looks like Fed just got back from watching Charlotte @ Indy.

Sunday, I'm leaving for Louisville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Chattanooga.

Still bummed that I missed both Columbus and Toledo for the first time in a long time.
  8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I'm on a minor league road trip.

Chicago @ Minnesota

:larry:
    chops, Ziggy, Cheeses and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pig

10. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

checking out the boise hawks tonight
  11. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

12. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

[​IMG]

hawks lost
    chops and Cheeses like this.
  13. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Atmosphere 2?
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

BA ranks MiLB ballparks. Sox affiliates come in at 1st, 3rd, and 23rd.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/best-ballparks-minors/

Despite that, I have to say in all honesty that the list is bullshit. The best thing about #3 is that it's across the street from an awesome brewery, and the best thing about #1 is . . . nothing. Downtown Charlotte is absolutely sterile, and the ballpark is no exception. Downtown BHM is worse than sterile. When they first built the park, white people were terrified to go there.

Downtown Indy is cool, but the park itself is no great shakes. Toledo is the opposite. The most laughably underrated parks on the list are Louisville, Pensacola, and Columbus.
  15. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Might be seeing the St. Paul Saints new place Labor Day weekend.
  16. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

:greatstory:
    chops likes this.
  17. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Charlotte travels:
    - to Indy and Louisville at the end of July
    - to Toledo and Columbus mid-August

At a minimum, I'll hit all 4 games in Louisville. That's my favorite MiLB park, considering location, views, fans, food, and beer.
  18. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Saw the Knights in Toledo last Friday.

Lost it in the 9th.

:flush:
  19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

2016 schedules are out. Charlotte travels:
    - to Toledo and Columbus April 23-28
    - to Indianapolis and Louisville July 21-27
    - to Louisville again August 29-31
  20. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

I hate when they're in Toledo so early. You never know how faggy the weather will be.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I hate when they're in Louisville so late. It was 100 degrees with 100% humidity this year.
  22. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:thinking: I might go check out the Springfield Cardinals (AA) tomorrow night. Playing NW Arkansas, the Royals affiliate.
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

How was your several hour drive with a complete stranger?
  24. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

They ended up flying us in this morning

:jolly:
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

26. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

2017 schedules starting to trickle out. No idea why they don't just release them all at once. Looks like we're headed back to Louisville and maybe Indy in July.

In other news, the California League (A+) is losing two teams (Bakersfield and Adelanto), which essentially are moving to the Carolina League over the next 3 years.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

W-S game tonight. Fairly new ballpark. Nothing around it but parking lots.

$4 Foothills drafts throughout the park. $6 to park. Tickets start at $8.

Suck a dick, MLB.
    sycked and Deuce like this.
  28. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Certainly more enjoyable than the current MLB roster.

:punchballs:
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

And MLB wonders why attendance keeps falling. The new Yankees stadium is a good example. The cheapest ticket to a Saturday or Sunday game is $25- and that's a second level outfield bleachers ticket. Plus to park in an official lot is $30.

I think eventually MLB will have a big attendance problem due to the game being very regional now and the fanbase skewing too old (and white) and we'll eventually see some more consumer friendly prices. It'll probably take at least 15 years though.
  30. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Then they'll blame millennial soccer fans.
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Fire tickets aren't cheap either. $26 for the cheapest ticket plus $20 parking. But then again it's only 17 home games vs 81. Having less games drives up price due to scarcity.

NBA prices, or at least the Bulls are a bit ridiculous, last time I checked face for the cheapest single game ticket was around $50-55.
  32. chops

chops never met prope

Does it really keep falling?
    2016 was down to 2015
    2015 was up to 2014
    2013 and 2014 were both down
    2012 and 2011 were both up
    2010 was down to 2009

I have no disagreements that some games are just too damn much money. Hawks/Bulls are prime example. But I don't see MLB having a huge problem in the coming years in terms of waning attendance.
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

It's actually $21.40 for the cheapest Fire ticket - not on Ticketmaster, have to buy direct from Section 8.

https://section8.ticketleap.com/revscum17/dates/Aug-05-2017_at_0730PM

Regarding the Yankees, their attendance has been dropping a little, but not that much, since they moved into their soulless, shopping mall of a ballpark. They actually got a big bump for the final years at the Old Stadium, and then had a few very strong years at the new place until the shine wore off, and are now back to where they were at the start of the century. But they're still near the top of the league, averaging just under 40k, so they're not complaining.

As for the Bulls, prices aren't going to drop until people stop buying them.
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah but I don't know if most people, especially casual fans would want to sit in Section 8. I actually like soccer and have no desire to do that.

Bulls still eating off those Jordan years. I assume they also get a ton of sales with corporate season ticket holders.
  35. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

That's not the point. I have no desire to sit in the upper corner at the GRate. But I buy the cheapest ticket and find a better seat. A bit harder to do now that they're good and getting big crowds, but still doable.

And you call also buy a ticket in 208 from them for that price - I don't believe that's general admission, think you have an assigned seat number.
  36. chops

chops never met prope

For the Sox?
    Same here, but we had no trouble finding plenty of open lower bowl seats on Sunday.
  37. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

No, I meant for the Fire.
  38. Cheeses

Sox "getting good"?

:balelaff:
    whitesox901, y2chae and chops like this.
  39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I bought those 208 tickets years ago, I think it's like bleacher sitting up there but it was mostly dead in that area in the game I went to, except for a group of Eastern Euro (Croatian/Serbian) dudes.
  40. chops

chops never met prope

Ah, minor league road trip haps
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sawr Moncada vs. the Durham Bulls tonight. Somebody hit the bull sign in the first inning and won hisself a steak.

Seeing a game in Hickory, NC tomorrow. Thoughts? Prayers? MAGA?
  42. Cheeses

On a scale of 1 to 10, how big is your Moncada boner?
  43. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

He's amazing but his D is questionable and he strikes out a lot . . . so I guess an 8?
  44. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Double header in Louisville today.
    Moncada not playing in either gayme.

:bonerdeath:
    Cheeses likes this.
  45. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire