NASCAR stuffs

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by Fuller, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I was sorta bummed when Ryan Newman missed out on the Chase by a friggin' tiebreaker, thanks to a late race spin by Clint Bowyer.

Now NASCAR has ruled Bowyer purposely spun with 7 laps to go to bring out the caution and thus allow his teammate Martin Truex to make the Chase at the expense of Newman.

Well, NASCAR called shenanigans and righted the wrong.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... yan-newman
  2. Fuller

3. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Can't believe they actually did that, but I suppose its fair. But then again, tanking exists on certain levels in every sport...

Go #29.
  4. Fuller

I like Harvick. I hated him at first, coming in like he did and winning his first race in the 3 car. But I have grown to respect the man. I'd love for him or Newman to win the Cup this year
  5. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

6. Pig

Kenseth won the second straight chase start. Unreal start for that car.
  7. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:waiting: for Fuller's thoughts on the new Chase format.*

*not really
  8. Fuller

I like it. It is more in line with how other sports do their postseason. I'm a little disappointed that they are not running Circuit of the Americas but maybe in a couple more years. One more road course would be nice.

Also, they should rotate the final race, although their options are limited the weekend before Thanksgiving
  9. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

10. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I feel like I hear one hell of a lot less about NASCAR than I did like 10 years ago.
  11. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

you don't hear about god much these days

big boner
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

You're not imagining things, it's been a steep decline for years.

Hence why they're again changing the playoff format again, to try to generate interest. AND WE'RE TALKING ABOUT IT SO OBVIOUSLY THEY'VE WON!
  13. Pig

New format actually sucks... a lot.

Consistency is no longer a factor. There is no reason for NASCAR to attempt to be "in line with how other sports do their postseason."
  14. Fuller

What do you want? NASCAR has always been about manufactured competition. This latest change is consistent with that. :shrug:
  15. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

I've certainly enjoyed hearing about it less. What's the decline attributed to anyway? Somewhat surprised since "hillbilly chic" seems to still be a thing.
  16. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:dunno:

The races are long and boring? But they always have been, so that doesn't explain much.
  17. CaptainBallz

Right, I though it was all about the culture!!!

:doublewide:
    Ziggy and Cheeses like this.
  18. Fuller

I attribute it somewhat to the economy. Folks used to travel from hundreds of miles away to attend the races, but people are doing less of that. Also, the racing is not as competitive as it used to be as evidenced by Jimmie Johnson's 17 straight driving championships. I think another factor is that there are far fewer colourful personalities in racing these days. Back in the day, you had the Waltrips, Ironhead, Awesome Bill, Junior Johnson, Handsome Harry, Tim Richmond, Jimmy Spencer, the Allisons, the Bodines, Ernie Irvan. Today's product is much more homogenized (means they have most of their teeth and kin speek gud). Drivers are not necessarily "colourful" today, they are just assholes (see Busch, Kurt)
  19. CaptainBallz

How far back are you going though? Wasn't it getting pretty huge like 5 years ago? Did something change or is it just as Pantera taught us: "The trend is over... and gone forever"
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Economy doesn't have much to do with TV ratings which are way down from when it hit a boom around 2006-2007.

I think the lack of big name drivers is one thing. Also when your sport fanbase is mostly white and old, the fanbase can only peak so much. I think several years ago some people gave it a try but the NHL and NBA have become more popular since then and so has soccer. I've tried to watch some events but it just doesn't appeal to me.
  21. Fuller

NASCAR began to rise around 1990 and peaked as Chae stated around 2007 or so. I think the decline is going to be a reality until they get more colour in the sport, both in terms of personalities and pigmentation. Danica is just not enough. Losing Juan Pablo Montoya hurts a little too. It would be great if they could convince Lewis Hamilton to jump from F1, but I don't see that happening

They may get a little bump now that #3 will be back in Cup racing. And if Austin Dillon tears it up as a rookie, that could generate some lasting growth.
  22. CaptainBallz

My dad used to make me watch NASCAR when I'd visit on Sundays.

:suicide:
    whitesox901 likes this.
  23. CaptainBallz

Brothers be rollin up to the pole all
    [​IMG]
    Fuller likes this.
  24. Fuller

True enough. NASCAR needs more road racing IMHO. How many 1.5 & 2-mile cookie cutter ovals do you need to run? Meanwhile you have great road courses like Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta and Circuit of the Americas just prime for the taking. Maybe throw in a street course to make it interesting.
  25. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of any kind of racing, but F1 seems way more interesting given the fact that they at least have to turn. Plus traveling the F1 circuit seems way, way, WAY more appealing than the NASCAR circuit.
  26. Fuller

No doubt. Monte Carlo, Monza, Catalunya, Austin &c. Beats the hell out of Kansas, Joliet, Dover & Sparta, KY.

Having said that, many of the NASCAR tracks are in very lovely settings including Sonoma, the Poconos, Bristol, Talladega, Daytona, Brooklyn, MI, Watkins Glen, Loudon, NH &c.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Dirt street course through the rural south with a case of moonshine in the trunk or GTFO.
    Fuller and CaptainBallz like this.
  28. Fuller

Wow, that was some lick Danica took!
  29. CaptainBallz

30. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

31. Fuller

There is carnage everywhere :panic:
  32. Fuller

Junior takes the checkers!!!

:applause:

Keselowski 4th and Dillon 8th. :thumbsup:
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:sleeping:
    Cheeses likes this.
  34. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Driving is a SPORT!! Aka, show us your tits, Danica.
    chops and Cheeses like this.
  35. chops

chops never met prope

36. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

:doublewide: She’s purty