Olympic Speed Skater Eddy Alvarez Signs with the SOX

Discussion in 'Trolling for Minors' started by Cheeses, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Cheeses

Cheeses Nazi Superman Are Our Superiors Cupcake Mod

http://www.people.com/article/olympic-speed-skater-eddy-alvarez-baseball-chicago-white-sox

Earlier this year, speed skater Eddy Alvarez told PEOPLE that he had two dreams: to make the U.S. Olympic team and to play pro baseball.

Well, here's to dreamers!

The 24-year-old not only made the Olympic team (he won a silver medal in the 5,000 meter relay at the 2014 Games in Sochi), but as of Tuesday, he's on the cusp of becoming a minor leaguer.

Alvarez, a standout high school shortstop who turned down a full athletic college scholarship to follow his "other passion" of speed skating, is signing up with the Chicago White Sox.

Alvarez posted an Instagram video of himself signing his papers, with the simple caption, "#official @whitesox."

"Playing pro baseball has definitely been a goal of mine," Alvarez, the first Cuban American male skater to make the Olympic team, said during an interview in February. "There were times when I thought of dropping skating completely and just focusing on baseball."

For much of his life, Alvarez has jumped between the two pursuits, trying to "feed his hunger." Back in 2010, the Miami native narrowly missed making the Olympic team. Shortly afterward, he walked onto the Salt Lake Community College baseball team and quickly became the starting shortstop, batting .303 during the 2011 season.
  2. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

what's the hardest part about speed skating?

telling your dad you're gay
  3. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

If you're a speed skater, you don't have to tell anyone you're gay. They already know.
  4. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Speed skaters aren't gay. That Shani Davis dudes seems pretty cool. Also that Apolo Ohno dude slays mad beav I bet.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Apolo Ohno: the sworn mortal enemy of my people
    spiffie likes this.
  6. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Low levels, but not bad...

eddy.png
  7. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

No future
  8. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

:shrug: I just saw the thread hadn't been updated so I was curious to see what he actually did this season. I expected worse, so he's got that going for him.