Roy Halladay - He Gone

Discussion in 'The Other 29' started by SABRSox, Nov 7, 2017.

1. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

2. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

3. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Never understood the appeal of flying those small airplanes. The risk doesn't seem worth it.
    Ziggy and DepaulSox like this.
  5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Holy shit...
  6. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

7. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

8. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

:40:

I saw the damn Corey Lidle pitch one of his last few games before being a dumbass in a plane. Never got the appeal.
    Ziggy and DepaulSox like this.
  9. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Case of excessive airspeed velocity?
  11. BeviBall

"According to the Cubune"

:imout:
    Ziggy, Cheeses and zmz like this.
  12. Cheeses

Never change, Crawdad.
  13. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

or lack thereof
  14. SABRSox

That plane he was flying is a bit notorious for killing people. I guess the lead engineer who designed it died piloting it as well.
  15. Cheeses

Manufacturer is a client of my firm.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

17. DepaulSox

DepaulSox Well-Known Member

18. DepaulSox

Couple of guys predicted the BArtolo Colon trade though. "Duke of Dorwood". Wonder if he's dead.
  19. DepaulSox

20. BeviBall

Uh oh. DePaul is going away for a while...
  21. SABRSox

22. Cheeses

DON'T STEAL OUR BANDWIDTH!
    \
    :crybaby: (FWC)
  23. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Twang....thump
  24. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-ne...th.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's fair to question if the hobby is truly worth the risk but to show this lack of tact and class, fucking Boston shitheads.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

27. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

28. Cheeses

Showboating it is.

Roy Halladay skimmed the Gulf of Mexico and flew his aircraft within 75 feet of beach-adjacent homes before his crash earlier this month, according to a preliminary report released Monday by the National Transportation Safety Board. The agency did not provide a specific cause of the fatal incident that occurred earlier this month, but it used data retrieved from the former pitcher's plane to detail his 17-minute flight.

Halladay was the only person aboard his two-seat ICON A5, an amphibious plane with folding wings designed to serve as a recreational vehicle, when it plunged into the Gulf near Tampa on Nov. 7. The two-time Cy Young Award winner, who was 40, was found with his plane, which was upside down in about 4.5 feet of water.

NTSB investigators said in their report that Halladay took off from a lake near his home in Odessa, Fla., located north of Tampa, and climbed to just over 1900 feet before descending as he neared the coastline. When Halladay crossed over U.S. Route 19, a highway that runs along Florida's West coast before ending on the south side of Tampa Bay, he was at about 600 feet.

When Halladay reached water, he was only 36 feet in the air, and he subsequently skimmed the surface at 11 feet while traveling at about 105 mph. He then passed close to the homes, and his last recorded altitude was about 200 feet.

A witness told the NTSB that he saw the plane climb to between 300 and 500 feet before turning and going into a dive at about a 45-degree angle. TMZ Sports published video of a plane reported to be Halladay's flying very low over the Gulf, and witnesses told the website that the aircraft was repeatedly making sharp ascents and descents to within a few feet of the water.

The former Blue Jays and Phillies ace, who retired in 2013, logged about 700 hours of flight time starting in that year, according to the report. He had 51 hours in A5 planes, including 14 in the one that crashed, which he acquired in October.

Halladay shared his excitement about his new plane on social media. "Real life is better than my dreams!!" he said in one post.

I have dreamed about owning a A5 since I retired! Real life is better then my dreams!! Thx Kirk & everyone @ICONAircraft pic.twitter.com/wkk6TtjAY4

— Roy Halladay (@RoyHalladay) October 13, 2017

"Sadly, this looks like a typical case of pilot hot-dogging," Ross Aimer, a 33,000-hour pilot who heads an aviation consulting firm, told the Tampa Bay Times. Aimer noted that Halladay "came way too close" to the beach-adjacent properties and could have been subject to punishment from the Federal Aviation Administration.
    chops likes this.
  29. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

:greatstory:
    y2chae likes this.
  30. Cheeses