Sox and the Trading Deadline

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by spiffie, May 29, 2012.

1. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Obviously going into the year the discussion was about who could be unloaded at the deadline. But since so far Peavy, Sale, Dunn, and Konerko have all decided to play out of their minds so far and the Tigers have been below expectations the Sox are in the thick of it so far.

Question becomes what do they do in the next 2 months if they're still around. Can they be buyers? Should they be buyers? White Flag 2012?
  2. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

The media's already chirping the Sox front office, claiming that if the attendance picks up, Kenny will work his magic as a buyer.

I love the White Sox model of immediately assessing blame to the fan.
    Sir Realist and Ziggy like this.
  3. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I'm a firm believer that if you don't go to the games you can't bitch about attendance. That's all.
  4. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

I say skip the buying and be the sellers
  5. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

6. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Kenny won't white flag. If they continue being decent and stay in the race, Kenny will look to so something. I don't think there are any big splashes to be made, but he won't unload major pieces for some peanuts as he tends to do.
  7. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Assuming the main guys stay consistent, what would he really shop for? The usual relievers and bench guys? The starting roster is pretty solid and most likely anything on the wire won't be too much better than the starting 9.
  8. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I don't think they really have to do anything. To be honest, losing any more depth (majors or minors) wouldn't probably hurt more than help.
  9. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Can they be buyers? Of course.
    Should they be buyers? If their place in the standings dictates it.

KW mentioned attendance because he will get better deals if he doesn't have to force the other team to eat salary. That being said, he will have no problem giving up extra value so that the other team will eat salary, and there will be other teams that have no problem eating salary for the rest of this season because it's already in their 2012 budget.
  10. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

KW not eating salary on the indie scene since '04.
  11. MeanFish

MeanFish Actually Rather Nice

I don't really see what we'd do in terms of a big splash. We're not going to bench any of our younger guys, and our older guys are playing well. Our bullpen is pretty much set. Our rotation wouldn't get more than filler, and even then only in the event of an injury. Maybe some bench depth could help, but I don't anticipate anything drastic.
  12. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

We have no young talent to trade.

That doesn't mean Kenny won't take a gamble, but I don't see how we can reasonably be buyers barring some sort of Alex Rios type pickup where most of what we're giving up is money.

Who honestly do we trade? We don't have much to give up to get anything more exciting than a middle reliever or a Geoff Blum type.
  13. Quaye

Honestly, unless we're in first place at the deadline, I think we should look at "not selling" as being essentially the equivalent of "buying" since the end result is the same--we'd be giving up future talent (minor leaguers KW could get from our big guys) in order to be better now.
    MeanFish likes this.
  14. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Yeah at this stage I'm happy if we just stand pat. That would be pretty significant given who we were rumoured to be shopping at the deadline. Unless we could make a trade for Beltre in exchange for, say Birmingham.
  15. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I don't see us being buyers, unless the guy we're taking on has to be unloaded.

If Boston made Kevin Youkilis available to make room for Will Middlebrooks, and would take a B prospect in return, I'd think that would be a good match for the White Sox.

But outside of that kind of trade, I don't see it happening. Chris Sale has to be the only young guy we have worth a damn, and he should be more or less untouchable, unless you're getting another relatively young guy back in return.
  16. Quaye

I can theoretically see Humber being a trade piece, but for him to bring anything valuable while still being expendable to the White Sox a lot of things would have to happen
  17. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

18. Pig

If the Sox are buyers, I'm betting it will be to bolster the bench. But then again, what would they really be looking for? Getting Hudson was an example of them being interested in improving and winning, so that's good.
  19. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Somehow get some pen who isn't Ohman?
  20. Pig

That's me. I'm not Ohman.

Putting it on my resume now.
  21. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

If the Sox got Youklis...I might become a Cubs fan.
  22. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

What if Kenny got Youk for Ohman?
  23. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

At least Ohman looks like a guy that you could pound beers with. Youklis and his stupid fucking ass wiggling every at bat piss me off. Also on Man v. Food he acted like a douche.
  24. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Dude knows how to get on base.

pussy poppin'
  25. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

What part of "Greek God of Walks" is so difficult to understand?
  26. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I had to go to wikipedia to understand how someone with the name Youkilis is Jewish.
  27. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I think acquiring Youk would be one of the best Kenny moments of all time.
  28. Pig

He'll probably wait 6 more years to do it though.
    1951Campbell and Ziggy like this.
  29. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

30. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I hate this website.

Why is :zo: not tagged?
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

While his story is pretty interesting, if you have a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father, you get a Jew with a goofy non-Jewish name. Good friend of mine from camp's last name is Ferretti. Mother's maiden name is Berman...
  32. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Jesus Christ: a Jewish
    Rex Grossman: Not a Jewish

Guess who's jersey I own?
  33. Team Speed

oh trust me I know that scenario quite well :laff:
  34. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

35. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'd offer nestor molina and trayce thompson
  36. Quaye

I hardly think acquiring Youkilis would be a bad thing unless we gave up Sale or Viciedo
  37. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

Yeah, even though it stings a little to think about, shipping off Jared Mitchell+ and completely bottoming out the farm system doesn't sound so bad if Youk is the return.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah farm system sucks anyway, no one there is a guarantee to do anything. Not like we have a Trout or Rizzo type. Mitchell is probably the highest ceiling guy but getting Youk back would be a good move I think.
  39. Pig

Too bad the Sox farm system blows, would be nice to grab Hamels from Philly or Greinke (get the CY YOUNG watch going).

I wish they could get a SP, there seem to be quite a bit potentially available from shitty teams: Dempster, Wandy Rodriquez, Milwood, Volquez, Garza, etc etc.
  40. Quaye

It turned out all it cost was: absolutely nothing, and we got money back too!
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

42. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

:getdown:
  43. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

44. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

:gfm:
  45. samram

samram Bon Vivant

46. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Liriano please. Greinke has that social anxiety shit no one wants to deal with.
  47. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I know we can't count on Danks right now at this point, but if he comes back and the Sox get Liriano... does any other team have a rotation of 80 percent left handers?
  48. Team Speed

Would MN trade Liriano within the division?
  49. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

They traded Young to Detroit last season. They've at least traded within the division recently.
  50. Pig

I'd rather they stay far from Liriano. Not near the top of my list.