Sox Are a Possible Destination for A-Rod

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by 1951Campbell, Oct 18, 2012.

1. 1951Campbell

1951Campbell Free Legal Advice/Beatles Hater

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/18/report-white-sox-among-most-likely-choices-for-a-rod/
  2. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

:mj:

deep dicking
  3. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

If they pay for most of the contract, why not?
  4. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Worked for the Bucs and Burnett

deep dicking
  5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Well, my worry is that if they get him and continue this 'band-aid' approach, we're stuck with more years of mediocrity. Would they rebuild with him in the lineup, or just keep going for it year after year and having this endless cycle continue.
  6. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

That is true. I guess it depends where the Sox think they are. I'm in for a full rebuild, which I think is absolutely necessary, but if they think they still have a chance to win a shit division I'd do it.

I totally get it though, at some point they have to let a rebuild happen.
  7. 1951Campbell

Assuming they do a total re-build in 2013, who plays 3rd? Not Morel. So that leaves...who?
  8. LuvSox

LuvSox Has genuine dislike for Sycked

Just stupid. He will never play for the Sox. I hope the entire off season doesn't have stupid stories and rumors like this.
  9. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Again, I have no problem with Gay-Rod coming here if the Yanks are picking up the tab AND Hahn is committed to rebuilding. I just don't know if that would happen with him here.
  10. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

Dude, y'all do realize that based on Cramps's excerpt, the basis of the SOX being a likely destination is that the author is assuming that A-Rod wants to be in a big market and Chicago is a big city.

Even by that criterion, this doesn't indicate that AROD might be coming to Chicago, as the White Sox aren't exactly a big market as it stands
  11. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

They play in a big city. I think A-Rod is worried about where he wants to live, not about the size of the fan base or some shit.
  12. Quaye

I think he's worried about both, given that a sizable portion of his income comes from endorsements.
  13. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

A-Roid
  14. 1951Campbell

Curiously, if this report is to be believed, he's willing to play for both LA teams but only the Sox in Chicago, not the Cubs.
  15. 1951Campbell

Hot stove season, baby! :soexcited:
    LuvSox likes this.
  16. Quaye

Considering the report is just a guy extrapolating on the only pseudo-fact available (i.e. that A-Rod has trade protection and would demand a major market) that's not surprising
  17. Quaye

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE
  18. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Another zmz masterpiece

deep dicking
  19. Quaye

ZMZ is definitely NOT the John Shoop of this board like main man R is
  20. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

21. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

Marlins are a team stupid enough to take him.

Even if the Yankees gave the Sox $95 mil, I wouldn't want Arod on this team.

I'd rather see a healthy Morel given another shot...if healthy is even possible.

Or Beckham back to 3B and Carlos Sanchez given a shot at 2B.
  22. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Brent Morel :lol:

Let's please not give him another chance, ever again.
  23. 1951Campbell

:suicide:
  24. sox1970

Morel was hurt. He makes no money. We have no idea if he's a decent player when healthy.

I'm not saying he will be good, but he's one of the options.

Getting Arod would be another lame attempt by the White Sox to say, "Look at us! Look at us!".
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Well it's pretty clear the Cubs would have no interest in him since they are in full rebuilding mode. Also safe to assume he'd want no part of being part of a rebuilding team, makes no sense either way.

If the Sox want to take a run at a shit division just to get in, I have no problem with that. It's probably best to eventually just bottom out completely when Rios, PK, Dunn are off the books and aim for a season where you get a top 5 pick (or even two, look what it did for the Nationals).

If the Yankees pick up $100 million of the $114 million left I'd be fine with it. Basically I see it as giving him $14 million for an expected 2 years of decent production. I think you can make a run at this shitty division for at least a couple more years assuming Dunn and Konerko don't fall off. Still can't have 3 sub .300 OBP guys on the regular lineup though, that needs to be fixed somehow if the Sox want to be serious.
  26. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

:duane:
  27. y2chae

y2chae Panda

A-Rod is still an above average hitter though, this isn't like getting Griffey or Alomar. He should at least get an OBP in the .350 range even while on the decline and hit 20-25 HRs in The Cell.

I think the guy is a complete tool but if the Sox are serious about contending next season it'd be a decent move if the Yankees pick up $100 million.

And Morel played in like 120 games in 2011 and was awful then. There's enough evidence on him that he isn't good.
  28. 1951Campbell

Morel sucked when he wasn't hurt.

As for "look at us!", hey, the Sox brass always say they'll spend more money if there are more asses in the seats, and I'm sure people would come out for A-Rod hitting some milestone HRs.
  29. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

No, no, we have to give him like 2 more seasons of absolutely shitty play before we can properly judge him.
  30. 1951Campbell

I like this plan.
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Assuming the Sox make the right draft picks though. Harper and Strasburg were no brainer picks.
  32. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

middling college pitcher on line one.
    Ziggy, Team Speed and 1951Campbell like this.
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Anytime you can take Lance Broadway over Jacoby Ellsbury or Matt Garza you have to do it.
    Ziggy and 1951Campbell like this.
  34. sox1970

I said Morel should be an option, not just given the job.

If anything, the Sox should be making a trade for a young 3B from a different organization with the surplus of OF prospects the Sox have. Or even trade Viciedo if the right deal is out there.
  35. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I support removing Viciedo from this team
    FedEx likes this.
  36. samram

samram Bon Vivant

The reason the Cubs aren't listed is they have a definite plan that doesn't include a big salary player. The others are just big city teams that need 3B, although most teams need 3B since the position is kind of thin these days.

I want to do a real rebuild, so I don't think this is the thing to do. However, if they insist on the silly, directionless path of the last 5-6 years, where they do the minimum to compete in a bad division, ARod the Player, assuming he's healthy, would be at least what Youk was when he was good and probably better. He could actually hit 3rd too. ARod the Contract is a bigger problem. Owed $114M through 2017. How much can the Yankees be expected to eat? Cashman is under orders to get under the luxury tax by 2014, but you know they're not going to fill ARod's spot with some dope. Chavez, assuming he's a viable everyday player (probably not), won't be a $2M player, so the Yankees will be considering what they spend on the replacement in how much they eat. It's not like they'll eat $100M of the $114M. I'm thinking $60M tops. So, you're looking at at least $10-$11M for five years. Pretty risky.

The Angels make sense though. How long are they going to trot those 3 clowns that play 2B, SS, and 3B out there?
  37. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

They'll just write it off
  38. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

The Sox would probably try to re-sign Youk before entertaining the idea of ARod, no?
  39. Quaye

Yeah no shit. Isn't there possibly an option that doesn't involve 37 year old A Rod or 20-shitx year old morel?
  40. Unregistered

Nothing like immediately reading the scouting report "he projects to be a decent middle reliever if everything goes right" about your team's first round draft pick as soon as they make it.

ROGER RING!
    Ziggy likes this.
  41. Quaye

So....is Jared Mitchell still alife?
  42. Unregistered

He projects to be a good clubhouse guy in Charlotte until he quietly retires at 30 to works on his dad's ranch.
  43. Quaye

who is he? packers WR jordy nelson?
  44. Unregistered

Maybe he's going to retire to work on Jordy Nelson's dad's ranch? I dunno, I just skimmed the scouting report.
  45. Unregistered

Man, before Sale the Sox went 20 years before they drafted a decent pitcher in the first round. That's a lot of Kris Honels, Bobby Seays, Lance Broadways, Kyle McCullochs, Aaron Poredas, Jason Stumms, Matt Ginters, Scott Christmans and Scott Ruffcorns.

I guess you could make a case for Kip Wells, but... yikes.
  46. Quaye

BUT LET'S FACE IT: WILSON ALVAREZ
  47. Unregistered

But check out this sweet meat:

Screen shot 2012-10-18 at 10.16.48 AM.jpg
  48. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Whoever we pick will be selling avocados by the time he's 28.
  49. Unregistered

50. sox1970

I wonder what Trout would have been in the White Sox system if they took him over Mitchell.

Would he be the same guy? Big leagues at 19, MVP candidate at 20/21, or would he have just been at Birmingham this year?