Swisher Being Shopped

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by sox1970, Nov 19, 2009.

1. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

2. chops

chops knows the brett favre of divorce

bring him home kenny!!!!! :praying:
  3. sox1970

The thing is, if he never played here, we'd probably want him.
  4. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

I wouldn't mind him back
  5. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Well, we do need a RF.

How about we send them back Jeff Marquez.
  6. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

But doesn't he prefer playing 1B?
  7. Sugar My Churros

Sugar My Churros Bee Cee Cee

I hear he's a great clubhouse guy
  8. SABRSox

If anything, I'd love to see him back just to piss Ozzie off.
  9. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Solution is :fireozzie:

Then let him get hired by the Nationals or some other shitty team.

Then let THEM trade for :dirty230:
  10. Against.The.Wind.2005

Against.The.Wind.2005 n00b

I really wish we wouldn't have made that trade, I liked his energy, I think the "We don't want rah-rah players." statement is a BS excuse. There are many teams that do just fine with these sorts of players. Of course no one foresaw what he'd do in NY, I really hate KW sometimes.
  11. crazyozzie02

crazyozzie02 Rackin up the tabs

I still love the Dirty .230 pick. Most of the love goes to the Umpire that was added at the bottom. Some of your best work gents.
  12. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

I really hope that is sarcasm...anyway, here are the Swisher batting lines since 2006 (2008 season omitted):

06: .254/.372/.493, 125 OPS+
    07: .262/.381/.455, 126 OPS+
    09: .249/.371/.498, 129 OPS+

It wasn't all that hard to predict :shrug:
  13. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

14. Cheeses

Cheeses Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors Cupcake Mod

Dear God: No.
  15. Lefty34

Get outta here with your funny acronyms, propeller-head. :rolleyes:

Well, KW says the team needs more OBP, and the dude averages 32 HR's per year. And over the last 4 years he has OBPed .365, and that number is even better when you omit a season that was clearly and aberration.
  16. Sir Realist

Sir Realist Strong Like Bull, Smart Like Tractor

Holy fuck. Please don't KW about this. No more Swisher.
  17. Cheeses

Swisher is one of those guys that, pretty much regardless of his potential contribution to the team, I don't want on the team, just because he's such an infuriating douchebag.
  18. samram

samram Bon Vivant

They're not going to trade for him because they'll have to give up way more than they got for him, which was nothing. That would be a bit embarrassing.

Weird that they want to deal him with both Damon and Matsui being free agents. I'm not sure what to make of that.
  19. spiffie

Bingo.

I don't give a fuck if Swisher OBP's 900 and hits 100 HR and shits out gold bricks that he gives out to the first 30,000 fans. His head pisses me off. Seeing his face makes me want to punch it repeatedly. Fuck him.
  20. Lefty34

Why not? We need a RFer, Swisher's '08 season clearly was a fluke, and his OBP and power-hitting abilities are needed with this current squad.

But why? He didn't trick his way into a .370+ OBP 3 out of the last 4 years, and he actually DOES average 28 HR's a year (I think I said 32 in an earlier post, which is incorrect) and hits for decent power, something that is lacking on this squad.

If KW can find similar production from someplace else, then fine, but Swisher actually does do most of the things the Sox are wanting of
  21. sox1970

Swisher got traded because he didn't want to be here, and Ozzie hated his ass. He won't be returning.
  22. Lefty34

Those are pretty stupid reasons for not wanting Swisher to return. But hey, if KW can find someone that produces like Swisher on the cheap, I'm all for it, but I have a sinking feeling that the Sox front office believe they already have two of those guys in Mark Teahen and Mark Kotsay, which is complete bullshit.
  23. Against.The.Wind.2005

Against.The.Wind.2005 n00b

When I said "Of course no one foresaw what he'd do in NY", I wasn't THAT serious, I merely meant that he got better, even if it wasn't ground-breaking. He contributed quite a bit to a strong season there as well as their postseason run. Not saying we'd be the champs if we'd have kept him obviously, but I enjoyed having Swish here (I know I'm about to catch hell for saying that). He did a good job there and as much as I detest the Yanks I'm happy that he was able to part of a championship. :)
  24. spiffie

The problem is the assumption that if traded back here that Swisher would produce like Swisher. He clearly appeared to be very ill at ease in Chicago for most of the time here. It seems unlikely to me that even if magically the Yanks said "give us back Betemit and Marquez and we'll give you back Swisher" that he would return to career averages in a place where
    A) the manager hates him
    B) many of the players hate him
    C) most of the fanbase hates him
    D) he really doesn't want to be
    E) would be expected to be a star player, instead of a neat little #9 hitter like he was in New York.

Also, fuck him.

And honestly, there is a certain element of not wanting extremely unlikeable people on the team I choose to support. I'm not asking him to cure cancer or solve the Middle East, things where I can say personality issues and that hard to define "just want to cockpunch him" factor he has in such large quantities can be ignored for the greater good. He is not so good even at baseball that I can say "ah hell, sure I hate him, but look how good he is." He's a slightly above average, inconsistent as hell, tremendously obnoxious douchebag. Yes, he might give us slightly more OBP over the course of the year than whomever is in RF, but it is not worth it, solely from my perspective, for also having to spend six months watching the Nick Swisher face as he watches yet another belt-high third strike cross the middle of the plate.
  25. Lefty34

But the thing is, Swisher didn't miraculously get better at baseball when he went to New York, he just didn't. He is the same player he was in Oakland, the same player he was here. He's a perennial .240-.250/.350-.370/.450-.490 AVG/OBP/SLG guy, and as FedEx pointed out with his BABIP, 2008 was clearly a fluke season.
  26. samram

samram Bon Vivant

That may be very true and I think it's a mistake to think the Sox don't know that. Remember they dealt three highly regarded prospects for him so they obviously thought he was a cornerstone going through 2008 and into the future. Something about him, then, made them decide they couldn't have him. Maybe we should take that as a problem with Ozzie, not being able to deal professionally with guys he doesn't like, but Dye hated his ass too and Dye doesn't seem like the type of guy who is difficult to get along with.
  27. SABRSox

Who cares about ballplayer feelings. I want guys who can produce, and Swisher has shown he can produce. 2008 was a fluke year, and if he came back here cheap, then great. I'd love for him to piss Ozzie off some more.
  28. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

No they're not. If all you care about is winning fine. But a lot of us Sox fans would rather have players on the team we LIKE
  29. Lefty34

Fine, if everyone thinks that Swisher can't produce because people don't like him in the clubhouse, though I think it's a bullshit reason to make or not make personnel moves, I'm not going to argue it further, even though the guy has shown he can produce. But then let me run this crackpot 3-way trade that I just thought up by you guys:

Sox send prospects (Mitchell, Jordan Danks, etc) to the Yanks and send Jenks to Tampa. The Yankees send Swisher to TB and in return the Rays send Carl Crawford to the Sox. Impressive, huh? I thought all that up by myself...

Lefty34 added 1 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

:omg:, didn't expect that from you....

:tealpolice:?
  30. spiffie

We need a "He's Gone, Deal With It" graphic like the one made up for Aaron Rowand.
  31. Cheeses

I'm sure we can find some other fat, out-of-shape guy with a propensity for wearing Ed Hardy douchebag shirts and sticking his tongue out while giving the Devil's horns, who can also hit .230.

:shrug:
  32. Lefty34

:deepsigh:

Okay, cheeses, okay. :ridiculous:
  33. Cheeses

Lefty wants to bang Swisher, apparently.

:bateyes:
  34. Rock Raines

Rock Raines The Original Dirty Thirty

I'd have to say that the Swisher gas-face should never be shown around these parts again lest he be on another team getting k'ed by A SOX player.

Fuck that insufferable prick. He's so good that the Yankees decided to bench his sorry ass in the playoffs in favor of who? oh yea Jerry Hairston Jr. What a fucking winner Swisher is.
  35. Lefty34

No, I just want people to be rational about Nick Swisher. You don't like him? Fine. But that doesn't mean he isn't an above-average producer in the departments this Sox team needs help in (OBP and power).

Lefty34 added 3 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Don't be a moron. Over the last 4 years, Swisher has been an above-average producer on the offensive side, even with that 2008 aberration included. Take that out, and the guy has been pretty damn solid. Again, I'm fine with the Sox finding similar production from someplace else on the cheap, but right now I don't see that production coming from anyone slated to play a position Swisher can, save for Konerko.
  36. Quaye

Not at all. I want the Sox to win, but I don't want obnoxious cocksuckers on the team even if they can produce.

OCAB and Swisher were two of my least favorite Sox of all time. It's not to say they weren't above average players. I would never claim that. But I didn't like rooting for them.
  37. Rock Raines

Rock Raines The Original Dirty Thirty

Dude we get the whole "it makes sense from a baseball standpoint" argument. You are more or less right about that.

I just don't see how in the fucking world you bring back a guy who got benched down the stretch and run out of town because he wasn't producing. That would seem like a pretty retarded thing to do especially after we traded some value for him and got nothing back.

And why are the Yankees so eager to part ways with Dirty 30 after a bounce-back year I wonder?
  38. Lefty34

And like I said, if the Sox can find similar production from a non-jackass player, then fine, I'm all for it. But right now they don't have that, who is slated to be the RF now? Teahen? Kotsay? Regardless, the fact is the Sox do not have enough guys that can produce like Swisher can (and has). So if it came down to it, you would rather have a player that you "like" over Swisher? I highly doubt you would say yes.

It does make sense, and that's really all that should matter, right?

Or how about a couple of aged players that were fresh off of minor-league dismissals? Or how about a guy that wasn't even in baseball? Don't act like it's a completely ridiculous notion to bring back Swisher or that the Sox haven't done similar things in the past.

So the team shouldn't want to get him back (though he is able to produce at an above average level in areas that the team is lacking) to save face for selling low? That's really stupid.

I don't know, what does it matter, anyways? The guy can produce in the areas the Sox need, and he has shown that 2008 was a fluke of a season.
  39. Quaye

You can be "for" what you are. Me? I'll be "For" not trading for guys I hate.

Would the Sox be better with Swisher? Probably.
  40. Lefty34

So then, in the absence of a better/similar option for a RF/1B/DH, you would still rather the Sox NOT get Swisher? :rolleyes:
  41. Quaye

yes. is that so ridiculous?

It's not like I win a prize if the sox make the playoff. I'm going to enjoy rooting for non-douchebags more than I enjoy rooting for douchebags.
  42. Lefty34

No, it's not ridiculous. A little sports-tarded? Eh, I don't know. But the Sox aren't a Nick Swisher away from the playoffs anyway, or at least I don't think they are. I was just really surprised that this sort of thing would come from you. :shrug:
  43. Quaye

i'm a fan of winning, but i'm a fan of enjoying baseball more
  44. Lefty34

Then maybe my thee-way trade idea will go through....:thinking:
  45. Quaye

46. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

You're probably closer to swinging a three-way with Swisher and some bar skank.
  47. Lefty34

I think you guys really underestimate how upset TB is with Pat Burrell
  48. Quaye

stop pulling trades out of thin air. that's like the gayest thing a sports fan can do.
  49. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

:helloexactly:
  50. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

You guys are out of your cottonpickin' fuckin' minds.

Swisher sucks. OPS is irrelevant with him.