The Athletic

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by y2chae, Oct 23, 2017.

1. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Am I the only one who thinks theathletic.com isn't a viable business model? $8/month for written local sports content (or $60/year). Just don't see the market for this at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

In their Chicago section they took Jon Greenberg from ESPN Chicago who I never thought was that good, Dan Durkin who was writing for 670's website, Kevin Fishbain from Pro Football Weekly and Dan Pompei from the Tribune. Those are the only names I recognize. So much for bleeding the newspaper dry.

Doesn't mean 100,000 people are willing to pay a premium for written content on local sports. Why would I pay for White Sox content when I can just go to South Side Sox? Or Fangraphs will write a piece on a specific club if they find a topic to write about.
    sycked likes this.
  2. chops

chops never met prope

I never heard of it, but I imagine those 100k diehards they speak of are the ones who they think will spend the $60/year. There are about 9 million people in Chicagoland, so 100,000 diehards makes sense.

Would you consider yourself a diehard?

I also don't think I would buy stock in dude's company, but who knows, maybe they're on to something.
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Well the fact that you are a Chicago sports fan and have never even heard of the site is a problem. Even if you aren't a 'diehard' that would subscribe to the site. Everyone still knows Bleacher Report, SB Nation, etc. so they don't even have the brand recognition to compete with those sites right now.

Also keep in mind most sports fans are dumb (society is dumb in general, I'm not saying sports fans are any dumber, just right in with the rest of the world) so when you say well we're an alternative to Bleacher Report slideshows and lists... well Bleacher Report does those things because they generate traffic.
  4. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Durkin is really good, which is a pretty big loss for 670. That said, I can't imagine it's really worth the $60 for the year. I have a buddy who has a subscription, and if there's anything I really want to read he gives me his log in info.
  5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Scott Powers and James Fegan might be the best Hawks and SOX beat writers out there.

But I don't give a shit. I barely read articles anyway, would rather just get news from Twitter.
    chops likes this.
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I think most people would say the same thing, it's cool you have some nice beat writers but I don't really give a shit and will just find news on Twitter. Which is why I don't think the site is viable long term.
  7. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

Never heard of it. :pass: on spending money on a sports-only site.
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Yeah, big fan of James Fegan and some of the other writers there. There were enough interesting articles behind the paywall this summer that I paid something like $10 or $12 for a year of access. Fegan just put up a great Micker Adolfo article, actually.

Anyway, I read a couple articles a week, probably. No ragrets.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

And... Deadspin is wondering the same thing as I am

https://deadspin.com/what-is-the-athletics-plan-beyond-exterminating-newspap-1819776358

10. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

11. Unregistered

Also, these Athletic guys are actually treated like newspaper writers in that they get press passes and clubhouse access and shit. So I don't have to read a guy like Chris Kuc bore his way through writing shitty articles about a team that he'd rather not be writing about and only got the beat because the Trib staff is being shuffled around. So it's basically like SSS except they actually have credentials and access.
  12. chops

chops never met prope

13. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

14. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

15. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I was an altar boy at Dan Pompei's wedding. #claimtofame
  16. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

This reminds me of The National from the late 80's/early 90's. That folded pretty quick iirc.
  17. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I guess I would be one of the 100,000 die-hards outside of Chicago. I'm not paying for this and I actually think they do good work.
  18. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Announced today that it's effectively dead. Margolis is taking his work back to Sox Machine, the independent site he had before SB Nation recruited him to run SSS.
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Must have realized enough hardcore Sox fans know who he is that he can make as much or more on his own
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

"To acknowledge the question with a maddening lack of specifics, it just stopped making sense to continue writing for SB Nation. I’ll miss the community and the platform that made such deep/worthwhile/silly/absurd discussions possible, and I feel just a little bit selfish for returning to Sox Machine because of that, but a move is better for my motivation. If you’ve been a regular SSSer — or even a lurker — hopefully you’ll make the jump, too."

Fits right in line with this:

https://deadspin.com/how-sb-nation-profits-off-an-army-of-exploited-workers-1797653841
  21. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Makes sense. Margalus is 2nd to none when it comes to the SOX so I'll be following him.

SBNation blows
  22. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

I was kind of into High Violet tho.

:-|
  23. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

Sleep Well Beast: :sleeping:
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah Jim also has a full time 'real job'. None of these guys make a living off of SB Nation. I think Jim figured if he was going to make shit money based on time spent, letting SB Nation money off the process was pointless when they couldn't even afford to pay him a decent living wage. The site managers get a monthly stipend, which Deadspin reported was on average $600/month.

So at that rate you are pretty much only doing this because you love writing about the White Sox. Jim went to SSS, because at that moment SB Nation had the reach and profile he didn't have. Once he built enough capital among the readers there, he realized he had an audience and could do all this on his own terms.
  25. Unregistered

And Josh Nelson is jumping ship too, so they get to continue what was the SSS Podcast, which is probably the best Sox pod out there.