The Lessons Learned From Playing High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by SoxFan76, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

What schools would you suggest remain?
  2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

In 20 years it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL was 95% players from the south and California
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Looks like Phillips is the only CPS ranked in the top 25, so looks like at least that school.
  4. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Phillips, Simeon, Morgan Park, Solario, Westinghouse, Al Raby, Taft, Northside and Payton Preps, Von Stueben, Lane, and Lincoln Park.
  5. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Whitney Young is a canary in the coal mine for schools like Payton Prep.
  6. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

My buddy Dan coaches at West Chicago. I went to their game against Elgin a few weeks ago and man the numbers on those teams are slim. West Chicago essentially played the same 11 on both sides of the ball and special teams, I believe the punter and kicker was the QB and the S. Elgin had even less, maybe 30 people total on the entire team.
  7. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I mentioned earlier that we're starting our 8U basketball league early because no kid under the age of 11 signed up to play football this year. Yesterday, they told me that my team has 13 players. We're supposed to equalize playing time, so game days will fucking blow.

This past weekend, we started JV basketball practice. One of the players arrived exhausted and covered in bruises because he played almost every minute of his football game earlier that day.

:ThanksFootball:
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Two players immediately kicked off of their Texas team for anthem protesting. The team is for homeschoolers who think that public school teachers have no lessons to teach but HS football coaches do.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/01/us/high-school-football-kicked-off-protest/index.html

Oh the irony of the players' mom/aunt's statement:
    If you had placed them in a public school program, then they surely wouldn't go through it, since their 1st Amend. rights would apply.
    Deuce and CaptainBallz like this.
  9. chops

chops never met prope

You've been on this kick for a while with basically nothing to back it up.

Only the south is keeping the NFL alive and shit.

:cmon:

:stop:
  10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:deepsigh:

Did you just conveniently ignore all the posts where maurice links articles about participation being down all over the Chicagoland area? And Prope confirming that as he goes around the area reffing games?

You realize most of the players in the NFL are already from the south and California?
  11. chops

chops never met prope

Sort of, I didn't click on any of the links. Yes, football participation is down in pretty high numbers in Chicagoland.

If by most, you mean about 53%, then OK.

Basically every damn post of yours in this thread is how only hillbillys in the south like football and how nobody up north plays it, etc.

:yawn:
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.45.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.46.04 AM.png

60.9% currently from the highlighted states, vs. 50.5 all time. It's trending that way, but 95% is probably a reach. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc will still produce their fair share.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

95% was an exaggeration of course but it's certainly trending that way as IWMB says.

Current Bears roster players (including practice squad and IR players for bigger sample size) that don't come from the south/California:

Michael Burton (NJ), Markus Wheaton (AZ), Adam Shaheen (PA), Dion Sims (MI), Tom Compton (MN), Eddie Goldman (DC), John Jenkins (CT), Mitch Unrein (CO), Nick Kwiatkoski (PA), Adrian Amos (MD), Prince Amukamara (AZ), Marcus Cooper (CT), Kyle Fuller (MD), Sherrick McManis (IL), Andrew DePaloa (MD), Eric Kush (PA), Cameron Meredith (IL), Jordan Morgan (PA), Kevin White (PA), Ben Braunecker (IN), Tanner Gentry (CO), Doran Grant (OH), Cameron Lee (IL), Mike Purcell (CO).

That's 24 out of 72 or 33%. I acknowledge there's some gray areas, like states like Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming (I think there were 4 or 5 from those states) and that'd be right around the 40% mark IWMB posted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...3b6516-836e-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html

14. chops

chops never met prope

I forgot to count LA and VA in the South, but I excluded Oklahoma as I've been there a few times and it's culture seemed quite different than the deep south hillbillies.

Still about 60%, but chae still sucks on this topic.
  15. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, I kinda just went off a line drawn, not really what is the cultural south. Basically SEC and Big XII south states, I guess.

Shit, most of Virginia isn't really 'the south'.
  16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

You are an idiot. Are you denying football participation in the south is increasing while at the same time it's decreasing in other parts of the country? How do you think that will effect the demographic makeup of the NFL in the future?
  17. Cheeses

18. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Baseball participation is actually on the rise
  19. chops

chops never met prope

No, I'm saying that your crap about only people in the south caring about football is fucking stupid.
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Youth football should transition to 8 on 8 with no tackle until HS. If you want your kid to learn how to take an unwilling opponent to the ground, sign him up for wrestling. Football coaches love to recruit wrestlers.

3 on 3 youth basketball would be amazing also, but the participation rate is too damn high.
    I previously mentioned the rise of Fall Ball, but I just got an invite to a travel league that (hopefully) doesn't start until the spring. Why are we even thinking about this shit in early October?!? The demise of youth football is wonderful, but I don't want the result to be a bunch of 7 year olds who play only one sport year round.
  21. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Hope Academy joined the Chicago Catholic League this year, and they're actually not doing too bad. Last week they hosted Providence, and got spanked, but the bigger news was that there was a shooting about three blocks during the game. Hope is supposed to be hosting St. Francis Academy of Wheaton tomorrow night, except St. Francis ain't coming anymore.

No lessons will be learned that night.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'm talking about participation in the sport not general interest level. Of course football is still popular everywhere. The Bears might do a better local rating than the Cubs on Monday.
  23. chops

chops never met prope

:cmon:

The possible clincher on Monday vs the debut of Mitch. I can see the Bears drawing more too. Although, it appears game 3 time is still TBD. Possible game 4s involving the Red Sox and Yankees, Cubs might be a 3:00 start. :shrug:

fuck the cubs
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'm talking about generational change here. Like 50 years. No one can guarantee the NFL will still be on top in 50 years.
  25. chops

chops never met prope

Cheeses will be dead by then.

:praying:
    zmz likes this.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The NFL won't be on top in 50 years. We previously discussed demographics by sport. The NBA will only become more and more popular as old shitty white people die and non-racist kids who don't GAF about the NFL grow to adulthood.

If you asked my kids to name an NFL player, they'd probably say "Walter Payton." If you asked them to name a second, they'd be completely stumped. YMMV in other parts of the country, but the Bears fucking suck. It certainly doesn't help that they play only 8 home games / year in a tiny stadium.
    Deuce likes this.
  28. Cheeses

:fatguy:
  29. chops

chops never met prope

30. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

You realize using 2 sources from the Chicago land area is the definition of confirmation bias right?
  31. Stockdale4Veep

32. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:wtf:

Chicago media reports on Chicagoland, more at 10.
  33. Cheeses

34. Stockdale4Veep

Referring to the post on referencing Prope and Mo
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Confirmation bias doesn't mean what you think it means.
    IWMB likes this.
  36. Stockdale4Veep

Using local references as being indicative of a national trend?
  37. Cheeses

I believe that's called "generalizing" or "extrapolating."
  38. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Bishop Mac is supposed to be playing at Hope on Friday. Does not look like that will be happening. That's homecoming game and senior night cancelled.
  39. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

:nope:
  40. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:shocker:

Jersey wop is actually a big time racist.
  42. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I like how he equates kids kneeling saying he respects it but it somehow gives him the right to walk off on the job. He should be fired ASAP.
  43. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Ziggy and Cheeses like this.
  44. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I can think of 5 teams this season that had players kneeling.
  45. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

[​IMG]

:phew:
  46. Cheeses

47. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

My JV bball team is undefeated so far with an average game score of 20 to 2.

My only regret is that they're not learning any life lessons.

I wonder how they'd do against a HS girls team.
  49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Fed actually played against some girls that are on a HS team recently

he won