Tim Anderson signs long term deal

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by IWMB, Mar 21, 2017.

1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...derson-white-sox-contract-extension/99441684/

The Chicago White Sox signed shortstop Tim Anderson to a six-year, $25 million contract extension Tuesday morning, a high-ranking executive with direct knowledge of the deal told USA TODAY Sports.

The deal is the most lucrative contract given to a player with less than one year’s service in baseball history.

Anderson, the cornerstone of the White Sox’s future, will earn $850,000 this year, and could be tied up to the White Sox through the age of 31. The White Sox also have two club options on Anderson’s service, buying out all of his arbitration years and two years of free agency.

Could be a fucking steal down the road.
    maurice likes this.
  2. Cheeses

Cheeses Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors Cupcake Mod

3. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

It also could be a complete waste of money. Like the idea just not sold on this, mngt ability to identify home grown talent.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. Cheeses

5. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

This is like signing Beckham to a huge deal after that great half year he had in 2009. Hopefully the results are much better, but it ain't my money so who cares. Good for TA.
    AnthraxFan93 likes this.
  6. Cheeses

Anderson is not a gay gentleman like Bexxx, though.
    Ziggy and October like this.
  7. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

BREAKING NEWS.
    chops and AnthraxFan93 like this.
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also AAV $4/million a year is nothing. Even if he turns into Beckham this money spent is so little, equal to what an average reliever would get in free agency.
    Ziggy, IWMB and Unregistered like this.
  9. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:

$25 million over 6 years is tip money in MLB. If they project him as an legit MLB SS, then anything he does with the bat is just frosting.
    IWMB likes this.
  10. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Don't bury shit in the transactions thread, that's for bullshit call ups and what not. I didn't see it there till after I posted.
  11. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

[​IMG]
    y2chae and IWMB like this.
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

There are 80 players in the #MLB that will make at least $14 mil in '17. In 8 years that's Tim Andersons salary #WhiteSox #WhiteSoxTalk
  13. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

@WriteSox
    Tim Anderson’s deal

2017: $850K
    2018: $1M
    2019: $1.4M
    2020: $4M
    2021: $7.25M
    2022: $9.5M
    2023: $12.5M team option
    2024: $14M team option
    maurice likes this.
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

In other words, $4 mil / year for 6 years, heavily backloaded, plus 2 team options that they don't have to exercise if they feel he's not worth it but that Anderson is forced to accept even if he's worth much more than that.

OMG, it could be a complete waste of money!
  15. Unregistered

Guys, we're actually talking SOX. Pretty crazy.
    chops likes this.
  16. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I think it's a pretty team friendly contract. :shrug:
  17. Unregistered

They could've just tried to squeeze him in arbitration every offseason, making him count the days until he's free from this cheapass org, so there's that.
  18. AnthraxFan93

Anderson's 3rd-year payday is roughly the same payday as Kris Byrant is getting for his 1st time going through arb, which was record setting. Kris was 1.05M, Anderson is 1.0M. I expect Anderson to be top3 for the AL MVP then for 2017.
  19. Cheeses

20. SABRSox

A young baseball player is gonna get a million dollars. What a fucking crime.
  21. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:wtf:

Bryant hasn't gotten to arb yet
  22. SABRSox

And Bryant is going to get a $300M contract at the end of the day...
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Anderson's 3rd-year payday is more than Babe Ruth made in his entire career. I expect Anderson to be 10 times better than the best player in MLB history.

It's a shame that 2016 was a historically shitty year courtesy of the Cubs, Trump, and Cheeses. Anthrax would've had a real shot to win the ToS.
    Ziggy, Cheeses and whitesox901 like this.
  24. AnthraxFan93

Correction, pre-arb deal. , Still, I expect the same results from Anderson... Top 3 MVP for 2017 to justify Anderson's salary for 2018. Since it's so "team" friendly
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

First of all Bryant didn't go through arbitration. The Cubs gave him a raise when they didn't have to, as a good faith move to reward him for a MVP season. When he does go into arbitration he will get like $12 million a year breaking the first time record.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

THEY ARE PAYING HIM $1 MILLION IN 2017 IN HOPES THEY WILL GET A MASSIVE DISCOUNT IN THE YEAR 2020 AND BEYOND HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS
  27. AnthraxFan93

And the Sox gave Anderson a raise for the 3rd year.. when they didn't need to in good faith. This is without any awards. WHY DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS!
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Buying out every arbitration year plus 2 years of free agency = "without any awards."

:andruw:
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

You idiot. They are paying him a little more than he would've made the next 2-4 years in hopes to get a massive savings in years 5 through 8.
  30. Cheeses

:books: :difference:
  31. AnthraxFan93

So the same thing the CUBS did, huh... And your counter argument is what again?

Look this is going nowhere, I hope for once I am wrong about this. I hope this turns into a Sale/Q type deal where the Sox look like geniuses.
  32. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Anthrax should go post on the wissy.
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

No it is not the same thing the Cubs did. Bryant got a 1 year $1 million deal. His deal didn't buy out any of his arb or FA years. The Cubs presently are saving nothing. They literally gave him an extra $300k for nothing because the money is nothing to them and it keeps Bryant, their best player, happy.
  34. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:
  35. chops

chops knows the brett favre of divorce

I like Anthrax
  36. AnthraxFan93

You should listen to this guy about Bryant, it's the same idea the Sox are doing :)

37. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I was talking about Tim Anderson you fucktard
  38. AnthraxFan93

The names are interchangeable.. the results are the same.
  39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

You possibly cannot be this stupid. The Sox are giving Tim Anderson more up front money in hopes they can keep him longer at a team friendly contract when he's a 5, 6, 7, 8 year pro.

The Cubs gave Bryant more money for literally nothing back in return. They didn't buy out any of his arb or FA agent years. They just did it to be nice and it's a good PR move to say they gave him the highest pre arb deal in history, since he just won the MVP and is the best position player talent in the game outside of Mike Trout. It makes Bryant happy in the short term. However, there is no contract tied to this. He can still file for arbitration and get a shit ton of money for his 3 arb years and then bolt in free agency. Tim Anderson doesn't have that luxury anymore because he signed the contract.
  40. AnthraxFan93

Yikes, You really think it's different.. for year 3.. That's sad. Let's try this.

Both players are making at least 1.0M for their 3rd year in the league, one has a ROY and an MVP. The other came in 7th for ROY and more than likely won't crack top 10 for MVP. The Sox like the CUBS paid more to keep the player happy. For year 3. Let's look at it from a WAR angle
    Their rookie years:
    2015 WAR for Bryant 5.9
    2016 WAR for Anderson 2.8
    Okay that doesn't help your case at all..

The sox wasted money as, while the CUBS in time will see if the small extra now lands them a discount (not likely) in the future. While the Sox did lock up said player for several years with the hopes they get Sale/Q return. The argument is simply on year 3, we can't look up what Bryant will make for year 4 to compare.
  41. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I'm so done with this fucking troll
    Ziggy, whitesox901 and Cheeses like this.
  42. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:deepsigh:

Tim Anderson played in 99 games in 2016. If he had played a full season like Bryant he was on pace for a 4.2-4.3 WAR.
  43. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I want to reply but I'm not sure Anthrax is being serious.

You can't be this fucking dumb.
  44. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

I thought he was being serious until his last post in this thread. Now I know he's just being an asshole.
  45. Unregistered

Why are we comparing Bryant and Anderson again? Because they're both black shortstops that play in Chicago?
    Prope likes this.