Unsustainable?

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by Cheeses, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

2. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

I will begin the hipster backlash and start drinking moonshine exclusively
  3. Cheeses

Took me a while to realize that not only was I walking past Koval's distillery every workday, but also Metropolitan's brewery. It's not a huge building they share, so not surprised to see Metropolitan looking for bigger digs.
  4. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

I'm long past bored with the beer thing. Everyone's biased in favor of over-hopping and imperial stouts with 10% ABV
    Ziggy and SoxFan76 like this.
  5. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Holy shit; I know that dude in the picture.
  6. skottyj

I just called that dude I know; the brewery is right by the house. He invited me to come anytime and take a tour and do some tastings.
  7. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

So basically from 2013-2014, the number of companies making beer in Chicago will double. Will the amount of Chicago-made beer purchased by Chicagoans double?

No, it will not. They'll just fight over roughly the same total amount of shelf and tap space.

Of course the introduction of one company alone (Lagunitas) will dramatically increase production in Chicago, but most of that beer is headed to other cities.
  8. skottyj

I only drink Big Hurt Beer.
  9. CaptainBallz

Two breweries are opening in Tinley.

Stick it, chicago
  10. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Mo, you don't think craft can make a dent against the Miller/Coors/Bud market share? I agree that you're getting a ton of guys just fighting against each other, but it seems to me every day people turn away from the mass produced domestic shit for stuff that actually tastes like something, and actually has booze in it.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Craft beer industry is certainly sustainable but it's becoming a saturated market. I probably have 10 to 12 drinks of craft beer in a month (either at a bar or buying at the store). So it's a finite amount I'm going to buy. Maybe craft beer increases even more in popularity but I doubt it can be a significant increase. People will continue to buy stuff like Bud and Miller or PBR and Hamms because it's cheap.
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

They can continue to make dents, but a dent isn't big enough to justify literally doubling the number of producers. The serious business people on both sides know this. The current battle to increase the size of the pie isn't 200 new nano-breweries vs. Bud Light. It's Lagunitas, Founders, and such vs. Shock Top and Blue Moon.

Once the start up money dries up, small craft breweries will be dropping like flies.
  13. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:orly:

Hadn't heard about that. Any other details?

Pretty awesome, though.
  14. CaptainBallz

15. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

16. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I'm ready for this craft beer thing to be done. Craft beer isn't that good. Let's all get over it now.
  17. Cheeses

18. SABRSox

I'll bite...

What beer is good?
  19. Cheeses

20. CaptainBallz

:mcnabb:
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Classic Loftus post.

If someone were to say many craft beers are overrated or a good number of craft beers that exist just plain suck, I don't think he'd get much of an argument against him. But obviously there are many examples of great craft beer.
  22. SABRSox

No, apparently there are not.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I'm ready for this "Mexican food" thing to be done. It was better when fast-food was limited to low-quality hamburgers.
  24. SABRSox

Korean BBQ? What was wrong with good ol fashioned American BBQ? And who wants their ribs short anyway?
    Ziggy and maurice like this.
  25. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

26. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Hey guys, if there's a wedding to attend, I'm glad I have the choice between Bud Light and cum in a glass. /Loftus
    Jackie Treehorn, Ziggy, IWMB and 4 others like this.
  27. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

:fin:
  28. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Lately I've been driving to Kenosha once every couple months to load up on New Glarus beers. When I'm at Binny's I usually try to grab a six pack of Revolution or whatever so I usually have local/craft beers in the fridge. But that said I probably drink two macros for every micro.
    Deuce likes this.
  29. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I drink nothing but craft beer, be it macro or micro. At my age and metabolism I refuse to drink calories that lack flavour, regardless of how cheap it is.
    Deuce likes this.
  30. Cheeses

Costco had cases of Dead Guy for $28 last time I was there, so I jumped on that shit.

Otherwise, I mix it up a bit -- some PBR, some Rhinelander!, and some miscellaneous Canadian shit I bought in Toronto.
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I drink just about whatever. I like crafts, but I also like getting wasted cheap.

Loftus is off his rocker, though.
    Cheeses likes this.
  32. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

Never thought it would happen, given the fact that I prefer wine, but I am a full on beer snob now. I don't think I have drank a "macro" beer in the last 10 months. Even that was a pitcher that we left mostly sitting on the table because it was dog shit. I am on a pretty big Rogue kick right now.
    Deuce and Fuller like this.
  33. Cheeses

34. skottyj

Batch 19 sucks.
    Deuce likes this.
  35. Fuller

I know it isn't a micro, but I bought a Hop sampler sixer of Sam Adams over the weekend. I haven't drank Samuel Adams since probably the 90s. I have to say it is incredibly tasty and the Whitewater IPA really hopped my head!
  36. Zoso

His Facebook rant was pretty horrible
  37. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Copy it here?
  38. Zoso

is the craft beer craze over yet? Here's the thing, it's not that good. Let's go back to being able to drink a Sam Adams without getting made fun of by some purse wearing hipster.
    Ziggy and CaptainBallz like this.
  39. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I had to take it to Facebook. I knew the helmet wearing members of Palehosed/SoxHaps wouldn't be able to handle a conversation like this.

It has it's place. But the whole wine snob mentality is just getting way out of hand.
  40. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

41. Zoso

It's not a snob mentality whatsoever. It's just that most people prefer fewer, nicer beers, and somehow that threatens your 20-Busch-Lights-a-night sensibilities. And by "most people" I mean a small minority of people.
    Ziggy, y2chae, Fuller and 1 other person like this.
  42. Cheeses

43. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I'm alright with Sam Adams.
  44. CaptainBallz

Eh, I've come across a good number of Type A's who are now on the craft beer train and naturally turn it into a competition. I pretty much can't stand the conversations that are a series of "Have you had ______? So good," with dudes just trying to one up each other with their rare scores. It's annoying and I can see how that would multiply by 10000 for a Loftus who just wants to pound a Sam's.

That also doesn't mean that Loftus isn't a tard for wanting "good beer" to be over just because certain people are cunts about it. Yeah, the problem is definitely too much good beer. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  45. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, that's pretty much every holiday on my dad's side due to my cousin being one of them hard core douches.
  46. Zoso

Literally everything must be monopolized by 2 or 3 asshole corporations.

[​IMG]
  47. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

It's not though. It's that gay gentleman at your friends house who has to show everyone the Domaine Du Page he's drinking and tell everyone about how much a six pack costs and the ABV%. Fuck your craft beer.

Yeah I like to have 20 Busch Lights instead of 3 Imperial Dog Face Stoutington Indias. That doesn't mean Joe Blow has to shove his $15 six pack in my face every time.
  48. Fuller

But part of the joy of a $15 sixer is shoving it in people's faces. Surely you are not (beer) advocating that we deny these wonderful folks the chance to truly get their money's worth?
    SoxFan76 likes this.
  49. skottyj

50. Zoso

It's probably* just joe six pack who's baffled by fancy yuppie beer and makes a much bigger deal about it in his own mind than the guy who actually brought the beer.

*definitely